Anybody Up for Gulf Shores/Orange Beach Offshore 6/25?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmottrek99and02:
Paulwall thanks for the kind words. Looks like I may not get wet until the 26th of June since I have a noonish appointment to make here.

Gary, I'll call your shop next week and see what you got going on for Sunday. I am trying to drag someone else along for the dive. Got any quasi primo camping spots (tent) nearby that I can use Sat night the 25th?

Howard (aka Philmont Trek 99 and 02)

Check out the State Park in Gulf shores. I believe they have tent camping spots

http://www.alapark.com/parks/feature.cfm?parkid=22&featureid=7

Maybe I'll run over on Sunday, rather than Saturday and meet up with you then.

algulfdiver:
We can fix you up if your still in need call me @ 251.968.4279 we have boats scheduled that Fri, Sat. and Sun.

Ok, I THINK i'm booked for Saturday for an 8am-2pm 2-tank dive with Gary's Gulf diver. Apparently, my cell phone link to the shop was a little staticky, but I gave my info, and my CC# and will be following up on Friday, before I head down to Alabama.

Don't know which boat (out of Sportsman's or Perdido Pass), but I believe it is the one out of Sportsman's. I'll find out more later in the week. I was just happy to get the booking done.

Weather calls for 30% chance of rain. I need to check the wind/wave forecast. Don't want to spend 5 hours on a roller-coaster. But I do need to get wet...

paulwall:
I need to get my monthly fix. Relatively Close to New Orleans and less expensive than the rig trip I have scheduled in July.

Well, Gary (http://www.gulfdiver.net) arranged for me to join the H2O Below for a trip out of Innerarity Point today. He sent 2 Faber 95 LP Steel tanks for me to use (a review of these comes later). It was a beatiful morning to be on the water, but a little early to leave Mobile at 6am to get to the boat by 7:30.

First Dive: Pete Tide - Max Depth 98 ft., dive time 45 minutes, typical depth 79-84 feet.
Surface temp 84*, air Temp 86*, Thermoclines at 20ft (80*) 40ft (76*) and 73ft (72*) Anchored in the stern. Strong, wind-driven surface current. Visibilty on the bottom, under the sides of the boat and around the stern was about 10-15 feet. Really cleared up if you rose up to 60-70 feet (25-35 ft). Lots of particulate in the water, many jellies including stinging ones. Large barracuda, schools of spadefish, juvenile gamefish, and tropicals. Easy, fun, relaxing dive. No pictures.

Second dive: Russian Freighter: max depth 86 ft, dive time 45 minutes, typical depth 65-75 feet. Much better visibility on this site (30-40 feet), lots of fishing line, barracuda, a huge remora, toadfish, tropicals, Huge schools of spadefish and schools of larger amberjack. Same thermoclines experienced. It was really too cold on the bottom for my 3/2 shorty. The broken hull is very interesting, and there are lots of artifacts to be found (fishing line, fishing weights, snagged anchors, and hooked,but unretrieved fish). Really a great dive. No slipper lobster, though. <sigh> No pictures.

Back
Top Bottom