Anybody hear about a missing diver at Venice today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question on venice. How far from shore are you? Are the PWC's being reckless? Just thinking that there should be plenty of room that the buzzing MUST be intentional. Is that lethal force? Would it be self defense to "disable" the vehicle or driver?

Just once I would love to tag a jetski with my powerhead

Dive Safe

mark s

I came across this on the Herald Tribune's website:

Diver who drowned in Venice is identified

VENICE -- A 48-year-old woman who drowned Saturday while diving in the Gulf of Mexico off Venice has been identified as Cathy Harbert, of Riverview, Hillsborough County.

Harbert was diving alone, which is heavily discouraged, when she ran out of air shortly before 11 a.m., said Venice Police. Her body was recovered by Sarasota County Sheriff's Office divers about 3 p.m.

Harbert "apparently ran out of air and became distressed," according to the report.

Police said Harbert was not wearing an inflatable buoyancy compensator, the standard piece of equipment that lets divers speed to the surface in case of an emergency, and also wasn't using a diving flag.

Diving flags are mandatory markers in Florida, except in waters that are only used by swimmers.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040824/NEWS/408240596/1001/NEWS0105

it was Colin in fact. He rode up with me Sunday.....

Well to put it mildly we had a jetski come right up to us that he could see my knife held out as I was about to tag his head with it when he realized it and sped away. I could almost read the name of the type of jetski it was.

She wasn't wearing a BC? Why in the h--- would you go in the water without one? And apparently she wasn't watching her pressure gauge either.... That's too bad. Did anyone on here know her?

Faust:
Hey Colin ?

Was that you geting in to the white Jeep Shane stopped to talk to.

That was me :D

DEEPSEAWOLF:
Question on venice. How far from shore are you? Are the PWC's being reckless? Just thinking that there should be plenty of room that the buzzing MUST be intentional. Is that lethal force? Would it be self defense to "disable" the vehicle or driver?
The average dive flag is out 100-150 yards off shore. We are always out in that zone as that is where the prehistoric riverbed is located and where the fossils can be found. You have no clue how much I want to set up an old water mine under a dive flag just to prove just how close people come to these required flages we have to drag.

bdrannik:
Hey Colin, where were you at? TailDragger and I tried Caspersen in the morning and spent the rest of the day browsing the small reef straight out from the public beach area.

BTW, do you know where those ledges are suppose to be at Caspersen? Somebody mentioned at about the 20' level, but we went WAY, WAY out and only had 10'.. (From shore our flag must've looked about 2" tall) I was amazed how much slower this area drops off compared to Alhambra.

We started at the pier. After being buzzed by 2 boats, one of which tied to the pier to fish, and finding virtually nothing but some fossil bone chunks and oyster shells, we decided to head up towards Alhambra. Instead of heading out from the pipes, we went north up the beach a hundred or so yards.

I know about that distance thing. I came up about a half mile out once. That was a long swim in!! I've not really been down to Casperson and dove though. Reefguy and I stopped there one day and it was a total scrub dive as the water was horrible milky emerald green.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom