Anybody hear about a missing diver at Venice today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdrannik

Contributor
Reaction score
Stopped in at Florida West Scuba today (Sat 8/21/04) to get a tank filled, and a diver gal customer had just left the Venice public beach area (the area with lifeguards). She mentioned that the lifeguards and possibly a heli were searching for a missing diver? Anybody hear anything about this?

Yup ... she sure did go missing. When I got out of the water at about noon i was met by two Sherrif's and was asked if I had seen a female about 48.They had 6 boats/fire boats and a Heli looking for her.

Yes, I heard, but at this time any information I have heard is simply hearsay, so am reluctant to pass it along, since it will be gossip.

Anything new on this? What were the circumstances (medical, shark, dive problem, unknown)?

Article published Aug 22, 2004
Woman's body found off Venice Beach

STAFF REPORT

SARASOTA COUNTY -- The body of a woman was located Saturday afternoon about 300 yards off Venice Beach.

The Coast Guard found the woman at 3:30 p.m., about four hours after Venice police reported a missing female diver.

A Coast Guard spokesman said the diver was 45 years old. A police officer on the scene said the diver was inexperienced. She was diving with a male companion.

Police had not released any other information about the woman as of Saturday evening.

http://www.newscoast.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040822/NEWS/408220622/1001/NEWS0105

That's sad. I send my sincerest condolences to the family and the diving buddies of the unfortunate diver.

I hope there is a follow up report with an explaination - I was out there today with Novafury and it was absolutely fabulous conditions for diving and fossiling. There were, however, a number of boats and PWC's that buzzed my flag close enough that both Nova and I were able to watch as the hull of the vessel was visible... rotating props and all.

Hey Colin, where were you at? TailDragger and I tried Caspersen in the morning and spent the rest of the day browsing the small reef straight out from the public beach area.

BTW, do you know where those ledges are suppose to be at Caspersen? Somebody mentioned at about the 20' level, but we went WAY, WAY out and only had 10'.. (From shore our flag must've looked about 2" tall) I was amazed how much slower this area drops off compared to Alhambra.

Question on venice. How far from shore are you? Are the PWC's being reckless? Just thinking that there should be plenty of room that the buzzing MUST be intentional. Is that lethal force? Would it be self defense to "disable" the vehicle or driver?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom