Anybody done an Emergency Ascent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SueMermaid:
Of course it is! Andy's always right! :D

oh if only this were true! i'd settle for being right half the
time... heck, one third of the time...

what am i saying? of course i'm always right!!

(off to convince my wife)

Just a technicality, it's really not epiglottis control that you need to be aware of, it's glottic control. Keep those vocal cords open. I don't see anything wrong with humming or vocalizing...insures free flow of air from the lungs past the vocal cords, and that's what's key. Granted, you can do this without vocalizing, but it really doesn't matter either way as long as the glottis is open.

Air will blow past the EPIGLOTTIS without any problem whatsoever. The only time the epiglottis is over the trachea is when you're swallowing....and if you're swallowing while trying to do a CESA, that's going to be a problem. :wink:

Jim

I did a CESA from 45 or 50 feet in Cayman several years ago. It was much easier to do then I had imagined it would be. It was not planned.

Joe

I did one for practice a few years ago from 27m, which is about 90'. It was at the beginning of a dive for me...obviously you can't do a safety stop on these!....and I took over a minute & a half to the surface. It was kind of a "blue water" ascent, so I kept my eyes on my depth gauge & watch to keep within the 60fpm speed. You have to watch your exhalation/buoyancy fairly closely, especially at the end. As you begin your way up, the air's pretty much just trickling out (I don't actively exhale, just let it come out) but as you near the surface, the expansion will be much greater, of course, and you'll have a lot more air escaping at the end. The most common problem I've seen with students doing the 6m/20' CESAs is that they tend to blow out too much air at the beginning, leaving them with little left to finish. Sometimes they've even emptied (pretty much) their lungs before they even "lift off." Sometimes they don't grasp that "not holding your breath" can be accomplished by letting air freely escape, and it doesn't have to be "pushed" out.

Dug this off of a web page but if your interested Im sure you can find more info on Capt George Bond with google etc.

As evolutionary creatures from the sea, the common heritage of humanity is a body that is capable of descending to any depth in the ocean poroviding compensation is made for the gas breathing systems that evolved to permit an earthly life. Thus we are capable of skindiving to depths as great as one hundred feet. Captain George Bond made a successful free ascent from a submarine at a depth of 363 feet.

Thanks Rick Inman for the link to my OOA emergency ascent from 70 ft. Saved me having to look for it for this thread.

Fortunately I have not had to repeat that incident. However, almost every time I've descended in the Dive Park since then, I've felt my reg wasn't giving me enough air. Psychological of course.

Doc

Last Saturday on one of the dive boats to Catalina one diver started to run out of air at 100ft. made it to 40 when completely out of air and did a EA. Coast guard had to pick him up and take him to Avalon for evaluation. Fortunately he didn't have to sit in the chamber. Just lost 2 hours of diving - we had to pick him back up from the coast guard before we left for the mainland.
montyb

quimby:
Dug this off of a web page but if your interested Im sure you can find more info on Capt George Bond with google etc.

As evolutionary creatures from the sea, the common heritage of humanity is a body that is capable of descending to any depth in the ocean poroviding compensation is made for the gas breathing systems that evolved to permit an earthly life. Thus we are capable of skindiving to depths as great as one hundred feet. Captain George Bond made a successful free ascent from a submarine at a depth of 363 feet.

Thanks, but not really what I'm looking for.

First off, even if Capt. Bond's free ascent was unaided, which doesn't seem likely from 1ata at 363 ft. I don't see how it applies to SCUBA since he was starting from a 1ata pressure vessel. 'Course, if the sub flooded, the pressure would have gone up, and his last breath would have been, what? 11ata? My quick search didn't turn up details, but I wasn't interested in spending a lot of time on it.

Second, I was rather looking for first-hand experiences.

Third, I don't subscribe to evolutionary theory, but based on it's premises, I don't see how millions of years moving away from the ocean would somehow enable us to return. It seems to me that diving is primarily driven by our curiosity, and actually counter to Darwinian survival of the species. And, it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

3dent:
Thanks, but not really what I'm looking for.

First off, even if Capt. Bond's free ascent was unaided, which doesn't seem likely from 1ata at 363 ft. I don't see how it applies to SCUBA since he was starting from a 1ata pressure vessel. 'Course, if the sub flooded, the pressure would have gone up, and his last breath would have been, what? 11ata? My quick search didn't turn up details, but I wasn't interested in spending a lot of time on it.

Second, I was rather looking for first-hand experiences.

Third, I don't subscribe to evolutionary theory, but based on it's premises, I don't see how millions of years moving away from the ocean would somehow enable us to return. It seems to me that diving is primarily driven by our curiosity, and actually counter to Darwinian survival of the species. And, it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.
To exit he would have had to be at the PSI equal to the depth at which he left.

Yes it can be done and how it relates to SCUBA is simple. He had an air container on the bottom from which he got air from prior to leaving and doing a free assent.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
To exit he would have had to be at the PSI equal to the depth at which he left.

I'm not a submariner, nor do I play one on TV :wink: I wasn't sure if maybe he had some kind of excape pod; that's what I meant by assisted. Of course I know that he would have to be at ambiant pressure if he was unassisted. But, again, I couldn't picture a method in which be could survive going from 1 ata to 11 ata in a busted sub.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom