Anybody do lens inserts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thunder Struck

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Sippin' cholla juice under the shade of a mesquite
Does anybody here do lens inserts for masks at reasonable rates? I've got a mask I wanted to put some Trident inserts on. The Trident lenses are good, however, their glue is garbage. I've heard that permatex has some decent stuff but I'm pretty frustrated after dealing with the Trident glue that softens and loosens up. I'm having a hard time justifying spending $200 at the Rx dive mask sites to glue in some inserts on a $35 DGX frameless (now $45) mask, which turns out to be the best mask I've had. Got an Oracle+ that isn't too bad but still doesn't have the field of view, comfort, and seal that the DGX has. For such an affordable mask (intended as a spare) It's the perfect pairing for my face.

Ah from the title I thought you meant proper eye inserts.

I had tri focul ocular lenses inserted into my eyes and had cataracts done at the same time. Perfect vision for the rest of my life.

Ah from the title I thought you meant proper eye inserts.

I had tri focul ocular lenses inserted into my eyes and had cataracts done at the same time. Perfect vision for the rest of my life.

Gotcha. Was simply looking for someone with the skills/talent to glue in the Trident inserts with a quality adhesive that won't loosen up. The Trident glue softens when it gets warm, no so good when my local temps are well over 100 in the shade at the dive sites. The Trident glue quickly softens and gets hazy when it warms up.

Someone mentioned using a Silicone glue for this in a previous thread. @lexvil ? I tried and regretted doing it. It was a biyatch to clean up my mess.

Someone mentioned using a Silicone glue for this in a previous thread. @lexvil ? I tried and regretted doing it. It was a biyatch to clean up my mess.
I’ve done it with clear silicon, permanent for the most part and works well if the lens doesn’t move while setting, now I just use a mask with changeable lens, a D mask with +1.5 on both sides, much easier in the long run.

I’ve done it with clear silicon, permanent for the most part and works well if the lens doesn’t move while setting, now I just use a mask with changeable lens, a D mask with +1.5 on both sides, much easier in the long run.
Same for me but the glue turned slightly grey after few yrs of use but it does not affect the vision.
The gauge reader mask of DGX is very good.

Back
Top Bottom