Anybody diving for Megs this winter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee, Sweet video (on page 3 of this thread). The vis is great and a lot more that I am used to. Maybe someday we will have to get together and trade some dives. I would love to find some teeth that have cusps. This would be a great extension to my collection. We do not have these down here but I can hook you up with some sweet Meg diving. Check out what I found in my last two days of diving.

Attachments

• DSC02579.JPG
    DSC02579.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC02578.JPG
    DSC02578.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC02577.JPG
    DSC02577.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC02576.JPG
    DSC02576.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Not sure if anyone is interested but this weekend in Aurora, NC they are having the annual Aurora Fossil Festival. Home of the Lee Creek Mine. Should be lots of megs on display and they have dumped 20 dump truck loads of spoil to go through. I know you are not getting wet for these but its still lots of fun. Home to see a few of you there. Greg

Lee, Sweet video (on page 3 of this thread).

What is the posting #____ (top right hand corner)

I would love to find some teeth that have cusps. This would be a great extension to my collection.

We can dive the Cooper, Wando, or Edisto, over the next few months if you like. It will have to be on the weekend for my schedule to permit. I am planning on a Civil War shipwreck offshore Murrells Inlet. If interested I will send over the dates and boat info.

We do not have these down here but I can hook you up with some sweet Meg diving.
I am interested. Is it totally black, even with flashlights? Do you have to feel your way?

Last edited:
Lee, Good luck in FL, there is a nice variety to be had there. Post your finds, I'd like to see what you come up with.

Scheduled on the Aristakat Saturday and the Big Flat Top Sunday. Both are afternoon dives. I do afternoons if I can get it. Will have my trusty camera and prepared to purchase another at the drop of a hat. (can't be without a camera, not my style)

Not sure if anyone is interested but this weekend in Aurora, NC they are having the annual Aurora Fossil Festival.

Thanks for the information Greg. I am sure it will be helpful to many.

I had a very bad experience with Aurora so I dis-associate myself with them. They can keep their fossils until eternity passes. Tip: If you significantly invest in their museum do not expect them to notify you if your scheduled access into the open pit mine has been canceled. All travel and accommodation expenses will be on you with nada to show for it.

Lee, post for the video I liked was #15. The water here is black, even with a strong light, vis is about 6 inches on average and sometimes it will open up to one foot or so. Very dark water at 25-40 feet deep. The bottom is muddy gravel and that is what is full of fossils. I do lots of digging and feeling with my hands. Look out for stone crabs! I did a quick check the bottom dive in a 50 foot hole yesterday and the water was so muddy that I could barely tell my light was on.

I am pretty busy cleaning up on one spot right now and will have to go out of town next weekend so maybe we can plan some trips for the 2nd weekend of June?

Lee, post for the video I liked was #15. The water here is black, even with a strong light, vis is about 6 inches on average and sometimes it will open up to one foot or so. Very dark water at 25-40 feet deep. The bottom is muddy gravel and that is what is full of fossils. I do lots of digging and feeling with my hands. Look out for stone crabs! I did a quick check the bottom dive in a 50 foot hole yesterday and the water was so muddy that I could barely tell my light was on.

That is what I have heard. The rivers here are 2-6 feet of viz with light. In the shallow water (15 feet) the sunlight sometimes penetrates to some degree. When the viz here gets down to the level that you are typically diving, I usually bail for the surface. If it weren't for the teeth I prefer the ocean. I have two boats that I use so given that they have a seat or two available I can get on the Cooper river fairly quickly. Mid months are best for me for local dives. We can make mid June or mid July a tentative target if you like.

I am also targeting a Civil War shipwreck offshore Myrtle. Let me know if there is any interest. (I would be in hog heaven if I found a CSA, confederate states of America belt buckle) I have dove it before and found rifle parts and a medicine bottle

Lee, post for the video I liked was #15.

That is the Edisto river. I think that location is the "lower" Edisto. I am wanting to dive that area. I am trying to zero in on it. I know who dives it, just not sure he will give up the location if I were to ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom