Anybody diving for Megs this winter??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okay....changed my Avatar to one of my fave photos of me, taken on a shipwreck offshore Charleston SC called the "Researcher".

==============================================

Mike.... Here is a link to the offshore ledge where I found the fossilized scallop

Little Gardens Reef - This natural ledge site is perfect for easy navigation with lots of critters and fish to see. At a depth of 75 feet there are plenty of large lobster and nurse sharks.

We can plan on using the Trinity dive boat, out of Charleston, one weekend. Its an Islander design. Somewhere around 30' in length. Good maintenance. Runs smoothly.

=================================================================

Here is a video I took while on the Trinity. Listen to the engine. I am not saying it will not fail. I have been on lots of boats that have broken down. I am saying its likely this boat will get us there and back without breaking.

Last edited:
I don't think they found the thief that stole the bar. It made me angry when I heard about it. The Fisher's were thoughtful enough to put it out there where the public could touch it and handle it (which I did) and then some a-hole-lee-o goes and steals it. Makes me want to projection vomit on the thief.

Exciting news! I have some Vencie Florida fossil hunts on my schedule. YEA!!

I have hoisted that bar of gold too and it pi$$es me off as well to think that someone would steal it rather then go out and find one of their own. I watched Pawn Stars some time ago and someone brought in a bar of gold he said that he found in his late father-in-law's house. This bar of gold looked just like the one that was stolen, same size and shape. I wounder would they be so stupid as to put it on TV.
Speaking of gold finds the group of guys I dive with got together for a show and tell in Feb. I will be posting a picture of all the gold coins we recovered last season in the "things we have found thread", let's just say it was a good year and we are hoping for a better year this season.
ZDD

Man I will be looking forward to seeing those coins Dave. We have a guy here that has found a few in the local river that we dive. He has found both Spanish and French coins with his metal detector that he uses while he dives.

If the gold bar on Pawn Stars belongs to the Fisher's .... the Fisher's will hear about it. Communications are really FAST and LONG reaching these days.

and as far as the thief being stupid.... that goes without saying.

What bothers me about the whole thing is that I read a few of the biographies about Mel Fisher and his family. The sacrifices they made were tremendous. The hardships they encounter were HUGE. The value in that bar of gold was way more than the value of gold itself. Then, after an entire lifetime of struggle, he puts the thing on display so the public can enjoy it and some jerk-wad steals it. Stealing that particular piece was wrong on so many levels.

I have been following the Mel Fisher's hunt since the early 80's when he first found the Santa Margarita. I still have that copy of National Geo.
Him, Kip Wagner, Robert Marx and all the other Florida THers as well as some of our local hunters have been such an inspiration to me over the last 30 some years. We have a few treasure wrecks up here that are waiting to be discovered and I hope that I will be able to locate them while I am still able to through myself over the side of a boat with 75lbs of gear on.
Well this is a thread on fossils so let me tell you about my fossil experience. Ever since I have been diving, going back now to the 70's I have read in Skin Diver mag. about divers finding these giant shark teeth in and around Fla. I never though in a million years that I would find one but last year after a little research Me and 2 of my buddies drove to Fla. and on our first dive, bingo I come up with 5 Meg. teeth. So never say never. I might plan to go down again next year and try your area. I have a friend who lives in Georgia so I would also get in a visit with him when I am down there.
If I can find them I will post some pix I have of some fossils of shells and coral I found while in the high Arctic.
ZDD

Attachments

• DSC01517.jpg
    DSC01517.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 72
Thanks for sharing the photo Dave. Love the sharks teeth and not opposed to an occasional spot of rum. Any time you find you way down around Charleston SC, look me up. We have the ocean and a few rivers to dive in.

I truly enjoyed the book Fatal Treasure It is about the life and times of the Fisher Family in the previous century. It was a really good read.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom