Anybody diving a Uwatec Galileo SOL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used the digital compass once, to see how it works. Yup. And now, back to my SK7. I don't like having to press buttons to get to a compass. I'd rather glace over and just see.

I like the PDIS deep stops. Sometimes I follow them on purpose, sometimes I follow them by accident, sometimes I ignore them. Works great every which way!

I've never bothered with the heartrate monitor. Never been out of the box. I have enough stuff to strap to my body without adding another thing.

What? The compass is the best part of the computer. Dude, our first argument! Lol

A three gas computer will go a long way in tech diving - basically anything at depths shallower than your comfort level on non He mixes. In North FL and Mexican caves for example, the majority of the diving can be done without trimix.

The Terra is in my opinion a better computer for technical diving as I don't know any self respecting tech divers who actually use and rely on air integration.

SP only listed the Terra in US catalogs for about a year, but it still shows up in the UK catalog, so I am unsure if it has been discontinued or is just noit currently bneing sold in the US. Sp downplays the Mk 17 here and does not sell the Mk 19 as it would compete directly with the more expensive Mk 25, and the same is potentially true with the Terra compared to the more expensive Luna and Sol.

The Terra is no more as everyone wanted air integration. I am a fan of AI as I am often hunting and like to glance at my left forearm for cylinder pressure during the throes of battle. I also utilize an SPG just in case...

Regarding PDIS, I strive to comply/follow it on all dives. I understand the theory and there is no negative impact and potentially positive impact.

The nice thing is that if you need to blow it, you are still well within the (generally accepted) margins of safety anyway.

Just my 2c

Regards

Richard

Guy, I always have backups. I can't imagine I will stop taking my Suunto/DSS boot down with me, it's not like it gets in the way. The Sol compass is very usable though. I am starting to like it a little better than the SK7 because it's slightly easier to read. On night dives especially, the Suunto glow fades out quickly even when I charge it up with my HID... The Sol light stays on constantly.

Riger: My thoughts exactly on PDIS.

Several hundred dives with my Sol and I continue to love it.

My two hose (1 for primary reg and 1 for octo/BC) set up is simple, tangle-free and streamlined.

In short, the Galileo Sol is one of the best dive gear purchases I've ever made.

Now, if Uwatec can ever get JTrak working for the Mac as well as SmartTrak works for Windoze, I will be a completely happy camper...

Regards
Peter

Would you say, the Luna is just as good minus the heart rate monitor or not? And the Luna can be used as a tech Computer with the mixes correct?

The Luna is the Sol minus heart rate, and Multiple gas (PMG) function. I don't use the heart rate sensor or functions, so for me the answer to your first question is yes it is just as good. If you want the heart rate function on the Luna, you can upgrade it at any time to support that function. When you purchase that upgrade they include the heart rate sensor/sending unit.

The Luna will support multiple air/nitrox mixes only if you upgrade it to PMG ($). It will not support tri-mix, and neither will the Sol.

The way I use my Sol, I could get the equivalent by getting a Luna, upgrading to PMG and passing on the heart rate upgrade.

Hope that helps

I just bought the Sol about 6 weeks ago. I have 8 dives on it. Other than getting used to having it on my wrist, its been a great improvement over the aeries ai. The compass is the best. To be able set multiple reference points & get back to the anchor line is priceless...
The Heart rate monitor is to me, a bit over the top. I tried it on my last 3 dives, with mixed reviews....

Just found a site selling the Luna @ scubastore.com.

$887.59 with tank transmitter, $710.07 without.
They have the heart rate upgrade priced at $196.01
They have the PMG upgrade priced at $147.80
They have the Sol with transmitter priced at $1,168.09!

I have no idea as to how reputable the seller is or the warranty implications but includes free shipping and the site looks good. They are out of Spain.

-Scott

Just found a site selling the Luna @ scubastore.com.

$887.59 with tank transmitter, $710.07 without.
They have the heart rate upgrade priced at $196.01
They have the PMG upgrade priced at $147.80
They have the Sol with transmitter priced at $1,168.09!

I have no idea as to how reputable the seller is or the warranty implications but includes free shipping and the site looks good. They are out of Spain.

-Scott

Since its an online vendor, ScubaPro will not honor any warranty, so the online vendor is your only recourse if the computer goes down.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom