Anybody been to Salt Cay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back!!Great trip I Loved the layed back Island life, much as I remember it from my childhood in the 50's ( Inagua in the Bahamas). The diveing was fantastic had some viz < 40' at the start as it was rough but no dives cancled. Most of the week was > 50 with 100+ on Fri and Sat. Got to dive the Endymion on Sat with flat seas WOWW!!!! Dove with all the DM's -- Matt, Trevor (poofish) and Olie.
Ate at the Coral Reef, The Green Flash, Island Tyme, and Pat's place. Cooked in the room at Trade Winds a couple of nights. Total food expense for the week was about $300 for two. I've done worse in Key Largo. Gonna post some pics

Salt Cay sounds perfect, until the max of 40 lbs luggage limit and the excess baggage charges. We never take much for clothes (who needs lots of clothes at a dive destinations when you spend most of your day in a bathing suit and wetsuit?), but the camera & housing, back up camera and video & housing along with all the stuff that goes with them make it pretty close to impossible to get under 40 lbs total per person. And since I can't get the husband my husband to leave all that stuff at home ...

We went back to Cozumel and as always, had a great time. We're going to go to Curacao this summer, and probably Grand Turk next spring. The flights with Spirit via FLL make it much easier.

If you plan on going to Grand Turk, you will have the same problem with over-weight and excess baggage weight fees.

Our group was over-weight and 3 bags ended up on Grand Turk. It really wasn't a problem and cost us $17 per couple to pay off the tab. Salt Cay Divers sent a boat to Grand Turk to get them. We used 2 planes (there were 10 of us) 5 in each plane. We sent the women with the dive bags and men with carry-on stuff. It all worked out fine.

I'm very glad we were able to experience Salt Cay. It really is the Island Time Forgot.

Sandra

sandrascuba:
If you plan on going to Grand Turk, you will have the same problem with over-weight and excess baggage weight fees.

Our group was over-weight and 3 bags ended up on Grand Turk. It really wasn't a problem and cost us $17 per couple to pay off the tab. Salt Cay Divers sent a boat to Grand Turk to get them. We used 2 planes (there were 10 of us) 5 in each plane. We sent the women with the dive bags and men with carry-on stuff. It all worked out fine.

I'm very glad we were able to experience Salt Cay. It really is the Island Time Forgot.

Sandra

Not with Spirit. They are flying jets from FLL and the standard 2 bags, max 50 lbs each applies! We'll try Grand Turk first and then see after that for a future trip.

We went to GT on Sprit from FT Lauderdale. New Planes. Bring your Credit card to pay for alcoholic drinks/snacks as they don't take cash aboard the plane. Soft drinks and juice are free. 2 bag 50# each limit plus 40# carry on makes it easy. Getting from GT to Salt Cay can be a bit more exciting. We had Salt Cay Divers pick us up and take us over by skiff. wet ride but part of the adventure. They've got a bigger boat that can make the crossing. $150 per trip to be divided by # of people on board. We returned to GT on the ATC puddle jumper as it was to rough for the skiff on the day we left. They didn't charge us the customary excess baggage. All in all we'll be doing it again as we enjoy the ROAD LESS TRAVLED and don't miss the lack of ammenities and pampering at the bigger resorts. Less people = better diving.

reeldive:
We went to GT on Sprit from FT Lauderdale. New Planes. Bring your Credit card to pay for alcoholic drinks/snacks as they don't take cash aboard the plane. Soft drinks and juice are free. 2 bag 50# each limit plus 40# carry on makes it easy. Getting from GT to Salt Cay can be a bit more exciting. We had Salt Cay Divers pick us up and take us over by skiff. wet ride but part of the adventure. They've got a bigger boat that can make the crossing. $150 per trip to be divided by # of people on board. We returned to GT on the ATC puddle jumper as it was to rough for the skiff on the day we left. They didn't charge us the customary excess baggage. All in all we'll be doing it again as we enjoy the ROAD LESS TRAVLED and don't miss the lack of ammenities and pampering at the bigger resorts. Less people = better diving.

Great info, thanks! An airline that doesn't take cash onboard? Now that's a first. The card processing fees are probably close to the amounts charged.

I have stayed at Salt Raker (Erica is great, takes good care of you) and at Osprey (Its a bit more modern and everyone is friendly). I have dove with Blue Water, Oasis and Sea Eye, all were fine and treated me well. There are over a dozen divesites within 5 minutes of the shore. You can go down to Bohio and rent a DPV to toodle out to the wall (about 400 yards out) for a shore dive. Plenty of snorkeling. Several resturants, good food.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom