Any word on the big oil spill off of PI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Several months ago a tanker sank in 3000 feet of water off the PI I think and was leaving a huge slick of bunker oil. I can't find anything on it. Does anyone have any new info?

Sounds like it will be a couple of months at the earliest for efforts to remove the remaining oil from the tanker to begin. Waiting to get the proper equipment and for weather conditions to improve. Here is current news.

Thanks. Funny how these things just get forgotten about.

I guess updates don't get released internationally, but I still see bits in the local news and papers about the incident and ongoing cleanup around Guimaras on a regular basis. To make matters worse, about a month ago a barge loaded with oil spill debris cleaned up from the Guimaras spill sank due to overloading, making the mess a bit more widespread. So now there is an additional site that needs attention :shakehead .

Was able to join the team sent by the Silliman University- Angelo King Center for Research and Environmental Management (SUAKCREM) to check on the reefs in Guimaras (where the tanker sank) and Plaridel (where the barge sank). The reefs in both areas surprisingly seemed to be unaffected by the oil. Surveys there will go on for quite a while though (we did fish and coral surveys) just in case the reefs have a delayed reaction to the oil spills.

Back
Top Bottom