Any word on a mobile version that will work on Blackberry Platform?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
How long before a mobile version is available. I have a work around but it's become too much of a pain in the butt to use just for this site and then have to go back in and reset everything for the other sites I access.

Also just did a restore on my desktop after trying IE 9 with SB. Once again Microsoft sucks. Hopefully at some point I will get rich or smarter and go with an Apple or start using Linux or something along those lines.

Don't hold your breath. I looked forward to the mobile version after the site upgrade and was sorely disappointed in a mobile site that is almost unusable on my phone (an LG Xenon, un-smart phone): miles of scrolling and I can only see the first page of anything (a thread or the thread listings in a forum). Needless to say, the SB bookmark on my phone doesn't get much use anymore. :(

Tried that and despite all the hype about it scubaboard was not listed in the forums, when it did find it it would not open the site, and the one time I followed all of their recommendations all I got was a blank screen. So I'm guessing the answer to a mobile site is no.

Now I just have to decide whether I want to upgrade my phone to a droid or I phone, or keep up my sponsor subscription.:confused:

Nice upgrade this was. :depressed::shakehead:

Your displeasure with the upgrade is noted, but will not make things happen at a more rapid pace, nor will it change the fact that the upgrade wasn't about "How will this effect Jim"? It was about making long term improvements for the bettering of this site. Which in fact, the site has been receiving a large increase in traffic since the improvements (liked or not by some select few)

I have (just) made a change to the mobile style which should make it work on blackberry now. That's the best I can do with the limited amount of time I have between expeditions.

Enjoy. (or not)

I'm done blaming sb and the people working on this. I have had time to think about it and am sure they were/are doing the best they can with what they have to work with. V bulletin 4.1 or whatever it is was obviously hurriedly developed and brought out with little regard for some users. Like a lot of new software it seems buggy as hell and even though it is supposed to be the newest and greatest with the newest and greatest browser now (IE9) it isn't worth a squat. So evidently v bulletin has chosen to ignore blackberry users and force a few hacks to come up with programs that work some of the time. Sorry for any previous attacks on sb members working on this. V bulletin is the one that is screwing with my enjoyment, access, and business. I guess I need to send them a big thanks. And maybe an invoice for new phone. Just out of principle. I know they'll ignore me or suggest some bull crap fix that will involve too much time and effort.

Actually.

vBulletin 4.0 was launched over a year ago... The functionality of the forum software wasn't hurried, but it's completely different, and really it is much improved. The buggyness that we are experiencing is my rush to convert our site to vB 4.1 whilst our design team (professionally hired) completes a new redesign. I knew that my time would be limited, so I upgraded before having the time to fully try SB in a test environment, under every situation, every browser, every smart phone, screen display width, operating system, etc. The truth is, it is me and me alone who is working on the maintenance and programming of SB, and frankly, I have other things that occupy my time.

I have a blackberry myself (for the Dominican Republic) and I can't download Tapatalk for BB until I go back to the Dominican Republic, as the App Manager requires a cell connection, and not wi-fi. However, you should be able to search Tapatalk for ScubaBoard and it will be there. I use it on my droid, and have used it on iphone.
I know that the currently available mobile style (which isn't the same as before) now works on blackberry. I tested it.

Beyond that... this change over period requires a little patience for some of the long time users, whilst we go through this process.

While I don't want to see long time users leaving the site because of things that are minor inconveniences, I do at the same time see a large increase in SB's traffic, and our alexa ranking is also getting higher. Something is working, even if some people are somewhat put off by the change.

Let me suffice it to say... I'm doing the best I can with the limited time I currently have to make everything work.

I was able to download tapatalk and easily find scubaboard. It works quite well IMO.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom