Any women over 40 diving doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I am starting to dive doubles. Still have to hit the water with them but very very soon. Hopefully this coming weekend.

It's strange going from a single where you can just pick them up and threw them on your back. I have to admit that I have problems getting them on because I am use to doing for myself and don't like help. That is coming to an end.

Juls64:
The path I'm planning to take is leading me towards doubles. It is a lot of heavy gear though. Just wondered if anyone else started diving doubles at 40 or later?

Juls,

Doubles come in lots of sizes. You can get the benefits of redundancy without killing your back. It depends quite a bit on what, where, and how you're diving.

A set of aluminum 63s is quite manageable. A set of steel 72s is also. Depending on dive profiles you may be able to get two dives off the one set - it depends on many factors, including depth and your consumption rate. You can find two used sets of steel 72s, to support a "two tank dive day", for less than the cost of one new set of the larger steel tanks.

If you plan to routinely descend to depths below 200' or so, then you may require larger sets of doubles. But if your dive depths are essentially deep recreational diving (say routinely 90' - 140' dives), for which you want both greater capacity than a single as well as redundancy in terms of regulators, etc. then the smaller sets of doubles may do for you nicely.

The point is to select the right equipment for your needs. Define your needs first, then select the tanks to meet your needs. You don't have to start off with a set of double PST E8-130s.

[Yes, you can lose the weightbelt with doubles. But, I own both a set of 63s and 72s, and with both I need to put a 10lb V-weight between the tanks. I'm diving them in cold water with a drysuit, your environment may be different. You may not lose much weight total, you'll simply displace it to other locations!]

(And it isn't cheating to use a cart or handtruck to move them around! Although, as ChickDiver has often suggested, working out with weights and doing strength training can make handling those doubles much easier over time!)

Hope this helps,

Doc

Doc's right. I am preparing to dive Al 63s as doubles. Although I am not 40, (YES SIREE -- I AM A YOUNG SPRY THING - YEAH THAT'S IT. HAHAHA) I'll be diving doubles when I am. And probably when I am 50 and 60 and then I am going to start racing underwater scooters or something fun. NASCAR's got nothing on me. Hahahaha

Seriously, consider what is best for you and your diving and do it the safest most possible fun way you can. R

Well I tried doubles, granted they were way too big. Steel 98's. I saw the bottom of the river and then the surface, tried it again. Bottom, surface. I tried it about 5-6 times before I got so upset it wasn't funny. Switched to a back inflator and I was so upset that I couldn't get myself under even with 20lbs. So my first experience with doubles basically sucked. I am going to go back and try steel 72's but for now I need to get my confidence back and go back to my back inflator.

Juls64:
The path I'm planning to take is leading me towards doubles. It is a lot of heavy gear though. Just wondered if anyone else started diving doubles at 40 or later?

Juls
I did and still diving with doubles.

I am 43 and have been diving double 95's since 1998. As someone else said, there is always someone around to lend a hand. I can get my set from the tailgate to the picnic table by myself if they are close enough together, but much further than that and I need some help. I have a regular dive buddy and we help each other gear up and break down. I have yet to dive with any man that didn't offer to move my unkitted doubles for me somewhere before I had to ask for help.

Stepping up on my soapbox....just because I don't have the upper body strength of man, shouldn't preclude me from diving doubles, that's just ridiculous.....stepping down from soapbox.

Juls64:
help me out here. Yes, i know I probably won't need one, but right now, when I haul my gear, I can do so in pieces. I can carry my weight bag, then each tank, etc. My concern is having the backplate, wing, double tank setup, that just lugging the thing to get air fills etc, will be rough. How do you manage? I have seen people with little dolly type things. Is that cheating. Or I know some people wear their setup into the shop.

Am I worrying too much?

Juls

The Question of 'Doubles' or 'Twinning Up'.... I've often heard big hairy 'bottomed' divers smirkingly say "If you can't lift it you shouldn't twin up" to would-be twin cylinder divers (male or female). ....And I often remind them of this 'pearl of diving wisdom' when they come into my shop for air fills and expect ME to help them haul it to the compressor room! Roughly speaking a 12litre twinset is going to weigh around 6stone so yes THEY ARE HEAVY but.......so long as you can use the gear whats wrong with getting a helping hand from another diver when it comes to moving kit around? I'd help anyone and hope others would treat me the same! Whoopps sorry for sounding off on my very first Scubaboard email!

I was 46 when I became certified, and started diving doubles a few years after. Am now almost 55 and still dive them exclusively at the quarry and on NJ boat trips. I went with steel HP 100's first, and then switched to steel LP 80's. I just broke those apart and have a new set of steel HP 80's. In a drysuit in 40-ish degrees F water I don't need any additional weight until the tanks are about half empty. Then I put on 4 pounds and that seems fine until I refill them. With my LP 80's I needed 8-10 pounds right off the bat. Personally I can't imagine diving double LP 95's. I have a single LP 95 and it weighs a ton. But to each her own, whatever works and feels comfortable. I put my dbls on from the SUV tailgate or picnic table and walk to the water (or GS off the boat). It is a bit heavy exiting the water, but if one takes care and goes slowly, it's quite manageable. Not to mention good weight bearing exercise to prevent bone loss!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom