Any wisdoms for shore dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
You guys taught me alot about boat dives... How about contributing a few on this one??

1. Wear booties, don't do full foot fins.

2. Careful crawling in the shore, I almost put my hand on a sting ray.

3. Don't swim against the current to get back to your entry point, swim toward the shore, and then go to the entry point... Current is weaker next to the shore.

Wait until you are in water deep enough to swim before putting your fins on. Falling with your equipment could become very expensive, not to mention dangerous. :11doh:

My best advice for considering a shore dive.....get a boat. Much nicer dive sites on option.
If you insist though:

Boots, gloves, protective clothing all essential.

Fully inflate BCD, keep mask on, reg in anytime you;re NEAR the water - if you fall you want to float and/or breathe.

Waiting until floating on BC in deep water before bothering with fins - its far easier.

Check tides, slack water times, tidal flow direction especially if an area that has significant tides. Check local knowledge of site in case of unusual local current or conditions.

Check weather forecast for conditions and whether likely to deteriorate.

Use an SMB at all times to avoid getting splattered by a boat.

Mask strap under hood.
Keep sand out of regulators.
Pass if surf is too high.
Remember where you went in at.
Don't fight a rip current.

And so on and so on.

Dave

Oki I will play..
1- Wear booties with your open heel fins..:wink:.

2- If you would have planed your exit right you would have avoided the stingray..:wink:

3- Why on earth would you swim against current.If you planned your dive properly you would have found an other exit point if all possible..:wink:

Dude..kidding..:)

What I do around my area. Mostly river/ lake diving. Put my fins on in the water. Adapt to your environment. Shore entry in waves is a duck tuck and go...

1- Scan the dive site for conditions of entry point. Notice and secure any saftey hazzards. ( tie gates open, remove trash, look for slippery surfaces and easy of entry/exit points )

2- Map out a secondard exit point in the event of a emergency.

3- Get info on the dive site, depth, location, what to see etc. FInd out what the weather is going to be. Depending on time of day. Find out the high/low tides and current directions etc.

4- NOW. Plan your dive.

5- if your exploring a new area and have no clue etc of what is out there. Have a reel handy to use as a guideline for your dive. Tie off in a safe place..Not on coral etc... If you can. Pulling a line will gurantee your safe return. If not map out the entry point on a slate for reference if your brain in no working that day..:wink:

6- Learn how to use a compass. bring it on your dive.

7- Make sure your buddy is comfortable with the dive. when in doubt bail out.

8- Notice the marine life make sure to look and not touch.

9- Have shore support with an emergency plan in the event of an...EMERGENCY!..:wink:

10- Start your dive in the current if your goin gto do a loop if not ride the current to your planned exit point. BUT plan your dive accordingly.

Dive your plan. Use gear appropriate for the environment. Full foot fins are for snorkeling...use booties and open heel fins. You may have to hike up or over some rough rocks etc...

Safe dives

fisherdvm:
You guys taught me alot about boat dives... How about contributing a few on this one??

3. Don't swim against the current to get back to your entry point, swim toward the shore, and then go to the entry point... Current is weaker next to the shore.

fisherdvm:

Sounds like you've been taking in some lessons:)

Add this too to your advise.

When planning the dive, do not ask yourself can I get in, but rather can I get out.
Then Once more, in the unlikely event of having either my buddy or I have to assit eachother can we safely come out.

Often when we get divers that normally dive from boats, they are surprised when we have to go 15mins down the road to a leeward shore, when the sea is a force 3 which they would normally dive back home from a boat.

Malta is the world capital of shore diving :)

My back still hurts after climbing up various steps wearing a twinset and stages a few months ago there:)

Slap some spring straps on those open-heeled fins. Much easier than fumbling with regular straps in the surf, both going in, and coming out. (voice of experience talking here :D )

scarefaceDM:
Oki I will play..
1- Wear booties with your open heel fins..:wink:.

2- If you would have planed your exit right you would have avoided the stingray..:wink:

3- Why on earth would you swim against current.If you planned your dive properly you would have found an other exit point if all possible..:wink:

Dude..kidding..:)

Gosh darm smart alleck geezer *^#@$@

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom