Any wireless wrist computer have an OLED screen & also dub as a watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyscience

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm looking at picking up a wireless wrist based computer that also dubs as a watch.

I was pretty set on an Atom 3.0, but was also interested in getting one with a OLED.

So is there a wrist computer that is also a watch with an OLED?

Thanks.

I'm guessing your looking for something similar in form to the Atom but with an OLED display? I don not think such a dive PC exists. OLED wrist PC's are usually of the "large rectangle" variety

Yeah I really like everything about the Atom 3.0, but REALLY like OLEDs and would be ok with a slightly larger console/watch face to get one.

Any ideas of any OLED wrist computer that is also a watch so I can try to compare to the Atom 3.0?

Quick Google reveals:

Mares Icon
Shearwater Predator
Liquidvision X1, XOE and XEN (XEN labeled bottom timer only)
Uemis Zurich (though I recall reading about the company closing)
Dive Rite Nitek Q

That seems to be about all of them

OF course there's also the Atomic Cobalt but that is not wrist

Edit: Divegearexpress.com actually sells most of them - you can browse there

it's not possible, because the OLED display needs a lot of power and a large battery. You'll be walking around with a brick on your wrist.

Adam

it's not possible, because the OLED display needs a lot of power and a large battery. You'll be walking around with a brick on your wrist.

Adam
Small passive OLED displays are used in plenty of watch scale consumer devices (they are typically single color, but can be very bright and clear), but not any dive computers that would double as a watch to my knowledge- unless you have REALLY huge wrists.

Power requirements are proportional to display area. OLED displays do need more power than a same-size simple black and gray LCD, if you don't count backlighting. Add backlighting and it's a much closer call. But full color, active matrix OLED displays are much more energy efficient than comparable color TFT displays. Basically with OLED only the pixels that are lit use any power at all, where with TFT displays the backlighting has to illuminate the entire screen area whenever it is used. AMOLED's don't need backlighting, as the pixels themselves are emissive.

Ron

my advice would be to get the Atom. Its a great every day watch and sweet dive computer.

Personally I went with the VT3 because I do like the larger display and wear a regular watch every day. Oceanic makes some good computers, I wouldn't let lack of an OLED keep you from getting one. Maybe in a few years they will use OLEDs more commonly but I'm sure you'll find the atom to be a great partner under pressure.

Get the right tool for the job at hand:

Buy a wristwatch for the purpose of having a watch on your wrist to be able to tell what time it is while you are above water.

Buy a dive computer for the purpose of having a computer for your diving activities, get one with a clock built in if you so desire.

When you try to put too many options into any one item it will often times become either too large or too complicated.

I know all of this is noting new to anyone, but I was bored and needed to post something. :crafty:

I really don't think asking for a dive computer to have a watch function is asking too much of a $1000 wrist computer.
As I mentioned, this isn't going to be worn as a normal everyday item, just while I'm on vacation for scuba diving. So looking for a smaller wrist computer isn't a deal killer as the Mares Icon doesn't really look THAT much bigger than the Atom 3.0. (although I've never seen either in person, just pictures online)

I was pretty dead set on the Atom 3.0 until I got an itch to get a colored screen.

I wish I wasn't so indicisive.

Get the right tool for the job at hand:

Buy a wristwatch for the purpose of having a watch on your wrist to be able to tell what time it is while you are above water.

Buy a dive computer for the purpose of having a computer for your diving activities, get one with a clock built in if you so desire.

When you try to put too many options into any one item it will often times become either too large or too complicated.

I know all of this is noting new to anyone, but I was bored and needed to post something. :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom