Any whales near Big Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Triggerman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be in Kona feb15-mar1 are there any whales still around the big island or have they moved on to other islands? Any suggestions on which whale watching op to go with? Thanks for your help.

There seems to be loads of whales around Kona right now. They were loud on today's dives off the old airport area, and two came up within 30 feet of the boat while on the mooring... our divers didn't see them underwater though.

Captain Dan McSweeny has the larger whalewatch boat that has a real good rep, there are several smaller operators that combine whale and dolphin watches this time of year. Expect to have whales off Kona 'til about the third week of March, then they tend to start collecting further north. I don't recall seeing any last year after the last week of March, sometimes we get them into April.

We have been seeing quite a few whales off of Kona lately. In fact, I can hear them at night from my house. Really...I'm not kidding. In the middle of the night we can hear tail slaps, breathing, and even singing. It's one of those things that makes you realize what an amazing place this is to live.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom