Any Vintage Dive Magazine Lovers Out There?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Sam,the creatures issue is the second rarest skin diver mag hands down after the first issue. There was one on ebay in nice shape a week ago $300 or best offer. I have seen them sell for over $300. They are highly sought after by Creature collector. The ones that know about it. I will have some pis on tomorrow.

---------- Post added March 3rd, 2015 at 01:44 PM ----------

Here are some vintage non diving mag pics. A slide show was much easier. Most from 40's. The large brown mag is 1935. A few 1950's. Some Hans and Lotte also.

Mike Leveillee's (VINTAGESCUBA) Recent Uploads | Photobucket

Last edited:
Hello Sam,the creatures issue is the second rarest skin diver mag hands down after the first issue. There was one on ebay in nice shape a week ago $300 or best offer. I have seen them sell for over $300. They are highly sought after by Creature collector. The ones that know about it. I will have some pis on tomorrow.

Here are some vintage non diving mag pics. A slide show was much easier. Most from 40's. The large brown mag is 1935. A few 1950's. Some Hans and Lotte also.

Wow the Le Pieur cover with camera is really rare 1935

Some of the old Life and National Geographic magazines are worth collecting. Here are a few:

Life:
September 17, 1956: First divers on the Andrea Doria
October 4, 1969: Issue featuring underwater advancements

National Geographic
December 1934: Half Mile Down by William Beebe
May 1949: Goggle Fishing in California Waters
May 1963: Ed Link’s Man-in-the-Sea Project
June 1964: Several articles on developments spurred by the loss of the Submarine Thresher
April 1966: Cousteau’s Conshelf 3 Saturation Dive
May 1976: Truk Lagoon

Hi Mike,

It's great to see these. What year/issues were the Lotte Hass covers?

Sam

Hello Sam,the speargun cover is Paris Match is aug/1953 French, the Pig tail cover is Constanze Jan,1955 German,The Black & white cover is Qucik dec,1950 German,the Turtle cover is Weltjugend sep,1956 Greman. There are plenty of the speargun cover on ebay France.

Hello Sam,the speargun cover is Paris Match is aug/1953 French, the Pig tail cover is Constanze Jan,1955 German,The Black & white cover is Qucik dec,1950 German,the Turtle cover is Weltjugend sep,1956 Greman. There are plenty of the speargun cover on ebay France.

Thanks Mike, I'll check it out. I recently had been filling some gaps in my German magazine collection with ebay in Germany. It's expensive to ship so I have to acquire quite a bit to make it worthwhile.

Thanks again for sharing. By the way, when you do publish your research on the Totes drysuit Skooba Skins please let me know.

Sam

By the way, when you do publish your research on the Totes drysuit Skooba Skins please let me know. Sam
Mike's right, I was the one doing the research on the Totes suit. I'll certainly let you know when the article is published, which won't be for a while. If you want to see what I've already done in the way of vintage drysuit research on the Totes, try:
Downloads | Customworks Limited Co.
Bill Sewell, who manufactures a modern replica of the Totes suit, kindly published my series of monographs on early drysuits a few years ago and I'm in the process of updating them in the light of historical sources brought to my attention since.

Sam (or Mike) you might be able to help me further with my Totes research if you can help me date the following ad, which probably appeared in a 1962 issue of "Skin Diver":
totes1962.jpg
Can you tell me which issue (month and page number) this ad appeared in? Its significance lies in the fact that a female diver is wearing the yellow version of the suit. Before 1960, male divers exclusively modelled Totes suits in the "Skin Diver" ads. When the sixties came along, the suit began to be modelled by women too, first in the company of a male diver in January 1960:
attachment.php

and then in 1964, when it was modelled by a woman on her own in the catalogue of the suit's UK importer Submarine Products:
Green-Totes.jpg
Thanks for any help you can provide with my research!

Hello Sam,I don't recall seeing that ad in Skin Diver. I do have that postcard though. I also have an original small yellow Totes in the box. It has a diver on the box lid 1950's.I will lo through a few early skin divers later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom