Any Vintage Dive Magazine Lovers Out There?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has just occurred to me that you might be able to help me a little with my own equipment research, Sam, if you have a near complete collection of Skin Diver. Or anybody else who has access to the relevant issues of the magazine for that matter. Here's an ad for a period dry suit:
01.jpg
I should explain that I own one of these vintage suits and I'm trying to establish a timeline for its production. I have already established that a prototype of the suit was being trialled during Spring 1957, but I'd also like to know more about the chronology of its commercial launch and later development.
1. I want to find out which issue of Skin Diver this ad first appeared in. The wording "60 day offer" suggests it might have been published in the April 1958 issue, but I am looking for confirmation of that fact, including the page number in the relevant issue.
2. If someone's prepared to look, I want to know whether a similar ad for this suit also appeared in an earlier issue of Skin Diver during 1957 or 1958. If so, I'd like to know which issue and would certainly welcome a scan of the page.
Warmer.jpg
3. I assume the above scan also comes from Skin Diver, probably some time during 1961. I am looking for a reference (issue date and page number) for this ad because it will help me date the introduction of the shortie version of the suit. If anybody manages to locate the page, I'd also like a higher-resolution scan so I can decipher, if it has one, the stock number of the shortie suit.

If anybody can help me with my research, I'd be most grateful. I am hoping one day to write an article about the suit for publication.

David

Hi regulator bj,

Nice ads. Were these in the Underwater World edition you had mentioned? I jotted that one down as part of the Diver UK history too...thank you for this tidbit of information. Did you collect both years they were published? Any extras? :)

Sam

---------- Post added February 26th, 2015 at 05:31 PM ----------

Hi David,

Give me a day or so to review these issues but I will be happy provide you a scan with what I find. I have some other magazine issues in that time period as well that I can peruse through to give you a more complete picture.

Sam

It has just occurred to me that you might be able to help me a little with my own equipment research, Sam, if you have a near complete collection of Skin Diver. Or anybody else who has access to the relevant issues of the magazine for that matter. Here's an ad for a period dry suit:
View attachment 203716
I should explain that I own one of these vintage suits and I'm trying to establish a timeline for its production. I have already established that a prototype of the suit was being trialled during Spring 1957, but I'd also like to know more about the chronology of its commercial launch and later development.
1. I want to find out which issue of Skin Diver this ad first appeared in. The wording "60 day offer" suggests it might have been published in the April 1958 issue, but I am looking for confirmation of that fact, including the page number in the relevant issue.

Hi David, indeed the original version of the ad was in April 1958. Note However the difference in valid dates at the bottom left between yours above and the SDM version. Seems like they were more stringent with the time in SDM.

SCN_0003.jpg

2. If someone's prepared to look, I want to know whether a similar ad for this suit also appeared in an earlier issue of Skin Diver during 1957 or 1958. If so, I'd like to know which issue and would certainly welcome a scan of the page.
View attachment 203717
3. I assume the above scan also comes from Skin Diver, probably some time during 1961. I am looking for a reference (issue date and page number) for this ad because it will help me date the introduction of the shortie version of the suit. If anybody manages to locate the page, I'd also like a higher-resolution scan so I can decipher, if it has one, the stock number of the shortie suit.

If anybody can help me with my research, I'd be most grateful. I am hoping one day to write an article about the suit for publication.

David
The second scan you uploaded was actually printed as the back page cover with a hint of color (yellow) for SDM in January 1960. It appeared again in page 13 for the February 1960 issue but in black and white. I didn't readily locate a stock number other than they call it the "Safety Yellow." I will need to look for my second loose copy as the one I looked in was in my bound set which is difficult to scan and kind of rough on the magazine. That said, I'm uploading a few more ad variations with the first occurring in March 1959. Note the new products at the bottom which I'm not sure you were aware of, and indeed they have stock numbers. Can you imagine wearing the bright yellow "Tiger Skooba?"

SCN_0002.jpg

The next two ads appeared as the center pages (32 and 33) and you'll see the 2 for 1 sale price lowered as a Christmas special. It was featured in the November 1959 issue.

SCN_0001_32.jpgSCN_0001_33.jpg

I hope these help you with your research. There might likely be more variations but I'll have to look closer for you. I did see in November of 1960 they had half page ads but nothing in the December 1960 issue.

Sam

Thank you so much for what you've given me so far, Sam. It has helped me greatly with the research. I can now safely assume that the suit's first launch was in the April 1958 issue of SDM, with a shorter deadline for orders.

It's also great to find out about the second scan's date and to know that the yellow "shortie" suit first appeared in January 1960 without a stock number. You are right about the visual impact of the suit, but surprisngly enough many companies produced diving gear in 1959 in "safety yellow". US Divers for example:
$_59.jpg
The "yellow rage" didn't last too long in the conservative world of diving equipment back then! Here's a picture of long versions of the Totes suit in red and yellow that graced a Florida magazine at the beginning of 1960:
1362359201_73522_500990433272919_986810973_n.jpg
Thanks again for all your efforts. You've already given me lots to work with.

David

Hi Sam, The adds were from an earlier publication 1959 Have all of the issues of "Underwater World" some copy's are in a well read state. I to like David Wilson use past dive publications and catalogues as part of unthreading "Vintage History"

img497.jpgimg498.jpgimg504.jpg

Hello Sam and David,good to hear from both of you. I have an extensive collection of vintage dive mags. I also collect non diving mags with skin or scuba diving covers. I assume Neptupe was uk first dive mag? I have the first four issues of the second series of Neptune aug 55 to apr 56. I also have most of the first eight years of Triton including the first issue. I also have what I think is the first dive mag from France L'aventure Sous Marine apr-jun 54 the first issue.I also have a xerox copy of the worlds first dive mag from italy. One issue only.I also collect mags with covers and articles of early frogmen. Have some rare one's from the 1940's.I will try to post some pics of some intersting issues of other mags and diving covers from the 30's on up. Later Mike.

Hello Sam and David,good to hear from both of you. I have an extensive collection of vintage dive mags. I also collect non diving mags with skin or scuba diving covers. I assume Neptupe was uk first dive mag? I have the first four issues of the second series of Neptune aug 55 to apr 56. I also have most of the first eight years of Triton including the first issue. I also have what I think is the first dive mag from France L'aventure Sous Marine apr-jun 54 the first issue.I also have a xerox copy of the worlds first dive mag from italy. One issue only.I also collect mags with covers and articles of early frogmen. Have some rare one's from the 1940's.I will try to post some pics of some intersting issues of other mags and diving covers from the 30's on up. Later Mike.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for coming forward. I look forward to seeing some snapshots of these older issues. Do you keep a form of Excel inventory checklist for your magazines? I'll private message you this week as maybe we can share more details of our collections. Great avatar shot. My copy of that issue is in fair condition with slight deterioration of the corners, and naturally rust stains from the staples. I always surmised the "Creature from the Black Lagoon" issue had more star power and fanfare than most other SDM's because of the movie's global appeal. Obviously one of SDM's first articles branching out to a broader audience.

Sam

Back
Top Bottom