Any Tomas Impact?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had heavy rain and wind for awhile this morning. White caps as far as you could see. Should have everything stirred up again for awhile in Aruba. Dive boats and sail boat tours all cancelled today.

Im on aruba now,diving has been cancled 4days now and prob. today also.I did get 3 dives in antilla,arashi,pedernales.I have 7dives booked but my time is running out, I leave thurs.afternoon.I have been hear quite a few times and never saw weather like this?.At least I got some dives in.

No not tomas,just a sw wind that will not quit we have large waves that really churned it up,vis is like 10'.The dive shop said they going to give it a try,im on the boat so we will see.I'll post later when I get back/?

I've been in bonaire since 10/22 and still here at Sand Dollar. Current conditions are bad at some spots on the west coast. There has been a long term wind reversal since Saturday. There are huge waves crashing into the shore in the middle and southern parts of the island.Buddy Dive and Bonaire Dive and Adventure moved all of their boats to safer harbor last weekend. Both shops have closed their dive piers and removed parts of the decking to save the piers. Some shops have continued taking boat dives to the south of Klein(protected areas). Yesterday, we went sout and everything from Belnam to Red Slave looked like big waves coming ashore. There were some isolated sites that didn't have big waves, but the word we got from several people who tried was that there were a lot of strong and unprodictable currents We were able to dive the light house(about 15 trucks there yesterday morning) and the area between Something Special and Yellow Submarine. We had good conditions once we got down to the drop-off but bad visibility in the shallows. Today we did Lac Cai which was wonderful. We tried Windsock late this afternoon and it was like diveing in a snow storm. Really bad visibility at 35-40 feet and everything is covered in sand-truly looks like a snowstorm under water.
Wind guru says that the reversal is over and it does look like the wave action is getting smaller. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I think the shallows will remain a white out for several days at least.

Vann Evans
Sand Dollar A4

No not tomas,just a sw wind that will not quit we have large waves that really churned it up,vis is like 10'.The dive shop said they going to give it a try,im on the boat so we will see.I'll post later when I get back/?

I have been on Aruba since Oct 30th and only have been able to get one dive in. Everyone has been cancelled since last Tuesday. I am on a snorkel trip tomorrow that has been cancelled 2 times already. I think it is upper wind currents from Tomas but by tomorrow it looks like the wind is going to shift.

Tetra where are you staying and who have you attempted to dive with????

I am at Caribbean Palm Village in Noord until Saturday and then move to Marriot Surf. I dive with Unique Sports behind the Raddison. We went to De Palm pier behind the Raddison to eat at Bugaloe today. The waves have destroyed the end of the pier and Bugaloe. The guys at the dive shop said the stirred up water is out over a mile. Hope this gets better soon.....:depressed::depressed:

Well that didn't go so well we had near zero vis. and the dive master called the dive. We had a nice boat ride.The wind did shift more from the north now.Ill have time for one more dive tomorr. then I have to fly out thurs. afternoon.5 days of no diving :depressed:

Finally this week the visibility has gotten a lot better. Antilla is fairly good, south coast has gotten better, the reefs are fair around 35 foot vis now. Course now it is time for me to leave. I did manage to get 8 dives in this week that were fair to good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom