Any tips on shooting Black Water dive in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heymo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are leaving for a dive trip to the BI in a few weeks. We've done the manta and Black water dives previously- but have never attempted to shoot the black water dive. Has anyone done so- and if so do you have any tips?

I have a Canon50D in an Ikelite housing, a DS160 and DS51 strobes. The DS160 has a focus light, and I'm thinking I'll need to have a second light that can be aimed from the side to illuminate the critters as well, but I'm not certain.

Thanks for your help!

Not sure- I was thinking I should use a wide angle lens-I have a ports for a 17-85, and a 10-20. Have a macro port as well, but thinking my best bet is having a wider lens.

If you are talking the "open ocean" black water dive, most of the photos I have seen have been of small to macro subjects. Might want to check with the operator. If macro the the 60mm (Canon equiv). Not familiar with Ike strobe focus lights but I have never cared for the ones on strobes in general. I think a decent focus light mounted on your housing and maybe a red filter for the focus light?

Yes- the black water dive is an open water dive late at night, where all the bioluminescent creatures come up to feed.

I do have a 50mm and 100 mm macro- but some of these creatures can be pretty good sized!

Understand I will have to shoot manual focus...

Doubler- forgive my ignaorance, but what is a OWT?

OWT = Oceanic White Tip Shark.

I personally would be looking at the 60mm Macro (or your 50mm??) with a good focusing light with possibly a red filter. If you can get your hands on a Light & Motion Sola600 they are awesome little light. perfect for your needs.

I would shoot on AF over manual. As the macro lens should focus really quick anyway if you have a good focusing light.

Regards Mark

Back
Top Bottom