Any tips on shooting Black Water dive in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heymo,

Aussie Byron I believe is right as to leave your lens on AF.

Canon 50D has a dedicated AF On button and you can also program your * button to START and when released STOP the AF process.

So whichever button under your thumb you use stick out your hand (or fin for a bit farther away) and get the camera to FOCUS.

Use your CENTER focus point to keep it simple.

Once you release the * button (not sure about the AF On button, check your manual) your focus will be LOCKED at that distance.

Then all you need to do is track a critter in your viewfinder and when it comes in focus lay on the front shutter release and rattle off shots.

You should use a rather broad soft beam aiming light versus a narrow spot type light.

As far as OWT fuggetta' 'bout them. You'd never see them in the dark anyway.....

More likely you'll get bumped by your buddy, brushed by a line if tethered to the boat or a float and that will make your heart go bonkers :)

Read your manual and practice this technique on land first.

Good shooting!

dhaas
David Haas Underwater Photography

Thanks dhaas...I'm familiar with locking the AF- Just have had several other people tell me I'm going to have to shoot manual.

I've done this dive before- sort of otherworldly as far as what you can see and not see. Kept expecting to turn and find a big eye over my shoulder! (lol) Did see a school of squid below us as I shown my flashlight being chased- more than likely by dolphins. Very surreal...but than again- the whole dive is surreal!

Thanks again for the help!

I used a P&S during my dive and was told by the DM, Joshua, that AF has a hard time 'seeing' the critters. He's shot thousands of exposures, but that might be specific to what camera he was shooting with? All I was able to get with AF was blur and smudge.

Dave- you dove with Josh Lambus? His photographs of the Black Water dive are amazing, aren't they? I've dove with him before...I know he used to shoot with a Nikon D80.

I may fail at getting anything good...but I regretted trying the last time and will at leats give it a shot this time. If I get anything worth showing I will be sure to post!

Since it's night and you'll be illuminating your subjects, there shouldn't be any need for a red filter!!

Dave- you dove with Josh Lambus? His photographs of the Black Water dive are amazing, aren't they? I've dove with him before...I know he used to shoot with a Nikon D80.

I may fail at getting anything good...but I regretted trying the last time and will at leats give it a shot this time. If I get anything worth showing I will be sure to post!

Josh was great. Loads of information and an easy guy to talk to. I seem to recall him telling me he's done over 1000 BWDs and that was two years ago.

Dave- have some images Josh took on our last BW dive- he was nice enough to give us copies. Great guy- and he takes amazing BW pictures. Mine won't even come close- but I'd like to give it a shot.

I have the metadata from the ones Josh gave me...he shot with a Nikon D80, ISO 320, F9, 1/100 sec. Focal length 92mm.

My biggest question is which lens to shoot...I've been told macro by some, other say it's too tight and to use a WA or FE with a TC would be better...

Back
Top Bottom