Any tip: Sticky fins with dry-suit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgl51

Contributor
Reaction score
I own a pair of Jetfins and wear them with a dry-suit having rubber boots. The result is that rubber on rubber has too much friction and it is a fight to slide the fins on or take them off.

I have tried silicon spray with no improvements.
Any one has a trick on what product to use to make them slide easier?

Thanks!

Are your fins too tight? Perhaps you need to go up a size or switch to XS Turtle fins

I had the same problem with my jets. I drilled a hole near where the pocket meets the fin so the to get 'em off easier. On mine I found that there was a pretty good seal with my foot jammed in, and water helping to complete the seal. So when I attempted to pull my foot out there was a pretty good vacuum being formed to prevent my foot from coming out.

The hole solved the problem completely. It also lets water drain from the fin pocket as I exit the water. If you notice, a lot of other fin types already have a hole or two in them to do the same thing.

I can send a picture if you want it.

Randy: Sounds like a great idea. WIll try as it cannot ruin the fins (they are 25 years old anyhow...). Approx. what diameter hole?
Rox: This is a good question. In fact I never really look at it in details as I originally bought these fins when I had a 7mm wetsuit and (softer) neopren booties. I cannot even read the size of my jetfins. On the other hand my shoe size is 81/2 so not that big but I will look at it closely, if the above trick (hole) does not do it.

Randy: Sounds like a great idea. WIll try as it cannot ruin the fins (they are 25 years old anyhow...). Approx. what diameter hole?
Rox: This is a good question. In fact I never really look at it in details as I originally bought these fins when I had a 7mm wetsuit and (softer) neopren booties. I cannot even read the size of my jetfins. On the other hand my shoe size is 81/2 so not that big but I will look at it closely, if the above trick (hole) does not do it.

quarter inch hole. ( IIRC ) Only because that's the first drill bit I found in the top of the drill box. It seems to be about the right size.

I put one hole in the top side, and one in the bottom side.

Drilling a hole should work and is done to help drain them and make doffing easier. Personally I like the fact that my Jets require a little wiggling and pulling to come off. They fit perfectly and the spring strap is only there to "help" hold them on. Loosing a fin would not be fun in our diving conditions.

I drilled four 1/2-inch holes in the foot box of my jet fins to facilitate removal and draining

Looks. 1/4 inch. Same size as the other ones. In the bottom. OOps I missed the pocket. Looks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom