Any Sea Hawk divers? USS San Diego?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going on the Sea Hawk for the first time this Saturday w/Capt. Frank (if the weather holds out). Okay, it's actually my first time on ANY NE dive boat and I'm insanely excited. I haven't gotten any work done all week and my friends are starting to avoid me because that's all I can talk about.

We're going to the USS San Diego. I'll be with an instructor, but still, I'd appreciate any advise you can give.

Is it a friendly crew? What's the best way to not tick them off? Any advise you can share with a newbie? Will they provide food and water? Anything tricky to know, like don't drink from the camera tank? I hate looking like a newbie, so any that you can save me from that would be appreciated.

Any advise for diving the USS San Diego? All I know so far is, if I see an explosive shell, leave it alone. It's a training dive, but still, any tips would be great.

Is anybody here going on the Sea Hawk Saturday? Deep Lou?

SteveFass:
Is it a friendly crew? What's the best way to not tick them off? Any advise you can share with a newbie? Will they provide food and water? Anything tricky to know, like don't drink from the camera tank? I hate looking like a newbie, so any that you can save me from that would be appreciated.

* The first part is wrong. You can drink from the camera tank if you want, just don't spit anything back into it. I would, however, suggest this may seem a bit odd - depending on the company of course; I've seen worse at parties - so you may just want to bring a bottle of water.

* I've no idea about snacks/water on your dive. I've never been on a dive boat that didn't have a water cooler though. You can certainly call to confirm the snack situation. Regardless of who's bringing what or what anyone says they'll have on board, I always have at least a bottle of drinking water and several energy bars in my gear anyway.

* Regarding not ticking anyone off and being a newbie... Step 1: Don't worry about BEING a newbie. Or looking like one. In fact, confess it. People in this sport are generally generous about sharing. Anyone who isn't, THEY are the jerk(s). The worse thing you could do is figure out some ways to APPEAR to be ok with something when you're really not. That's how problems can happen. I've only got 50 dives myself. And while I 'think' I mostly have my own situation somewhat down at this point... anything I'm not sure about or anytime I see something I don't get, I ask. The talent and experience of some of the hard core folks I've met is humbling, but on several islands and a bunch of boats, I've not yet come across anyone who hasn't been happy to answer questions. Better off looking a little green early then causing a problem later; for yourself or others.

And have fun. You've bought your ticket. It's your dive too; newbie or not.

Scott

SteveFass:
I'm going on the Sea Hawk for the first time this Saturday w/Capt. Frank (if the weather holds out). Okay, it's actually my first time on ANY NE dive boat and I'm insanely excited. I haven't gotten any work done all week and my friends are starting to avoid me because that's all I can talk about.

We're going to the USS San Diego. I'll be with an instructor, but still, I'd appreciate any advise you can give.

Any advise for diving the USS San Diego? All I know so far is, if I see an explosive shell, leave it alone. It's a training dive, but still, any tips would be great.

Is anybody here going on the Sea Hawk Saturday? Deep Lou?

sorry didn't see this post till after you mentioned it.
Hope you try to come back out and give us a try again.
I hope we were friendly enough to you.
San Diego is not my favoirte dive. Although when I first got going I tried for two years to get to the San Diego and missed out. Back then I thought it was the premo dive site.
I have bad case of bug fever, and I find it harder to find good sized bugs on it. Either I don't see them or they are in so deep I can't reach them.

If you come out again, hope you have better seas.

If you think u going again, you can let me know either pm or just straight e mail @aol.com

Hey Lou, you haven't seen the last of me! You and the other guys and gals were real friendly to the new guy - thanks for that. Larry and I will get it together another day this summer, a day when the Sea Hawk doesn't go out so far and after I buy an industrial size bottle of seasick pills.
Steve

SteveFass:
Hey Lou, you haven't seen the last of me! You and the other guys and gals were real friendly to the new guy - thanks for that. Larry and I will get it together another day this summer, a day when the Sea Hawk doesn't go out so far and after I buy an industrial size bottle of seasick pills.
Steve

Although I don't get out on Sundays that much, generally that is the "inshore" day. Often the shop Larry works with has sunday charters and they keep it a little closer to shore.

Strange thing abt the San Diego, its not that far off shore, its just that it is many miles down the beach from Jones Inlet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom