any scuba-friendly pools in the area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ishie,

(Still thinking about the mental image of "hood only")

I read another post before where you said that you don't like wearing a hood. I suspect that it is the constriction around your neck that bothers you, not the hood portion, or the warmth of it. My buddy had a similar problem and he ended up getting a larger sized hood so that it did not constrict his throat. He got a Henderson hood that has the vent in the top so that the hood does not hold a ton of air. Just something to consider.

Clearly you are a person with a stronger tolerance for cold than the average person. (more like my mother who always feels warm, unlike my sister who always feels cold) Still, wearing a hood is a good idea because hypothermia can sneak up on you. Remember that the body will divert blood if it thinks it needs to, so you can get problems in teh extremities if you get too cold.

Also consider that some custom wetsuit makers can make or modify a hood that will fit you comforatbly without constricting. Just another suggestion.

By the way, when you dive at Tahoe, depending upon where you dive, and how deep you go, you make not need a hood. In August 2003 at Sand Harbor down to a depth of about 45 feet it was a balmy 65 degrees in the water.

Side Note: When I dive Monterey the only problem I have with the cold is at the end of the second dive when I am at the ladder, and the boat crew wants to talk to me. They want to ask questions, but my frozen lips won't function. Sometimes they start to get worried. I tend to stay in the water for a minute to gather my thoughts and to clear my nose before I climb the ladder. (I always check to make sure that I am not holding anyone else up) When I just float near the ladder, they start asking questions, and when I have trouble answering, they ask even more, worrying because I seem "disoriented" to them. Oh well.

Wristshot

Yes but how do they horns respond to the cold?

Wristshot:
Ishie,

(Still thinking about the mental image of "hood only")

I think some restaurant patrons got more than a mental image when I was changing at Breakwater after they'd locked the bathrooms. I'm never packing in a hurry again. Forgot some key garments. LOL. And let me just say, after you've been in a wetsuit all day, how frigging COLD those showers are at night when you've just got the bikini. Talk about hypothermia...

Wristshot:
I read another post before where you said that you don't like wearing a hood. I suspect that it is the constriction around your neck that bothers you, not the hood portion, or the warmth of it.

Almost always, yes. I really don't like the constriction around my neck. I seem to breathe differently through the snorkel when it does that, which somehow makes me sick faster.

On that botched Lovers dive where I wore the hood (too big though, so not the constriction problem), the warmth of it did bother me once I got out. Getting back in was a hassle (way shallow with rocks) and once on land, had to rip the thing off because felt way overheated, and again, makes me sick.

But I am not adverse to warmth when I want warmth. I've seen the dive caps that look like swim caps, but I don't know if they make them in 7 mm.

Wristshot:
My buddy had a similar problem and he ended up getting a larger sized hood so that it did not constrict his throat. He got a Henderson hood that has the vent in the top so that the hood does not hold a ton of air. Just something to consider.

The larger size did work better, though I suspect I'd get an air bubble on a deep dive (max depth was 15 ft on that horrid dive), so the vent would make that far more effective.

Wristshot:
Still, wearing a hood is a good idea because hypothermia can sneak up on you. Remember that the body will divert blood if it thinks it needs to, so you can get problems in teh extremities if you get too cold.

True. Plus, I'd hate to abort a dive just due to my forgetting a hood.

Wristshot:
By the way, when you dive at Tahoe, depending upon where you dive, and how deep you go, you make not need a hood. In August 2003 at Sand Harbor down to a depth of about 45 feet it was a balmy 65 degrees in the water.
Wristshot:
I checked the temp and noticed it was around 69. Right on! Unfortunately, now the problem may be not going at all. Need a root canal, and I'm shopping around, but right now, only appointment I could get was the day before I was planning to go. Grrr.

Wristshot:
Side Note: When I dive Monterey the only problem I have with the cold is at the end of the second dive when I am at the ladder, and the boat crew wants to talk to me.

LOL
Haven't done a true boat dive off Monterey yet (don't think getting tossed off the end of the jetty counts), but want to!

Thanks for the tips! I may end up wearing a hood more often, but only if it has the groovy horns. :wink:

Ishie

Ishie,

Sorry I missed that show at Breakwater. I want to say something about standing ovations, but I won't.

See Cricket and Jeff at Otter Bay Wetsuits the next time you are in Monterey.

http://www.otterbaysuits.com/

They make custom wetsuits and I am sure that they could help you out. They could provide a hood that covers more or less and they can add ears or horns. (They never knew that they could do horns until I asked them. Now they have done several!) As their website shows, they can provide a variety of colors. They did not have a "vent" per se, like the super cool vent in the Henderson hoods, but I have heard of people punching a series of small holes in the top of their hoods to allow air to escape. (Just have someone mark what part of the hood is the highest when you are in your normal position during a dive)

I dove in Cozumel with a woman from Santa Cruz that always wore a hood. Her's was a funky number with a little built in visor. She sometimes had trouble submerging. On the second dive together (buddied as part of a larger group) I noticed that she had a substantial amount of air in her hood as she descended. I gently pressed down on her hood, pushing the air out, and she was able to descend easier. Honest! After that she became much more aware of the air in her hood. Her regulator exhaust always seemed to fill her hood during the dive, and the hood scooped air when she was dropping down from the surface. Each time we submerged or hung at a safety stop I would give her the new signal for "push the air out of your hood". She could definitely use some vent holes in her hood!

Most of my dives have been boat dives. Our certification dives and the Lake Tahoe dives have been my only shore dives so far. My buddy did several shore dives during his Rescue class, and he still has sand in EVERYTHING (therefore I have sand all over my garage!) We get a LOT less sand doing boat dives. I have tanks so that I can do shore dives whenever I want, but I seem to be busy most weekends with all the other sports that I do. (tried surfing for the first times this summer)

---------
Cali - The horns are pretty rigid (turgid?) all the time so I don't think that they get effected by the cold. Neither "shrinkage" nor "glass-cutter syndrome" seems to occur, so the horns aren't male or female.

However, I am usually wearing 5mm gloves when I have the hood on, so I don't know for sure.

For what it is worth, the horns are about twice as big as I asked for. They do make it a challenge to put on my mask, but I get remembered. When I dove at Lake Tahoe, a couple approached me saying that they remembered me from Monterey. I remembered them after they talked to me, but not before that.

Wristshot

Your Cozumel friend was probably getting air into her
by breathing out through her nose. A properly fitted hood
will overlap the mask skirt.

It only takes a single hole to vent the hood, but it has to
be a HOLE where some some material was removed
rather than just using an ice pick or somesuch. About
1/8" is plenty. The tool corral at OSH has a suitable punch.

Chuck Tribolet:
It only takes a single hole to vent the hood, but it has to
be a HOLE where some some material was removed
rather than just using an ice pick or somesuch.

And if you are going to use an ice pick or something, make sure you do it when the person is not wearing the hood. :wink:

Ishie

Actually Chuck, it was a really strange hood. (I gotta find a picture to show you) I think it was a surfing hood from one of her sons. What can I say about those Santa Cruz people. --*laughing*--

The point is that the visor on the hood was capable of catching normal exhaust. I am sure that any exhales through her nose exacerbated the problem. Plus the hood rode high on her head, and just seemed to have a life of its own, especially once it got some air in it. As I recall, the hood was not close to the mask skirt.

Good point about removing material for a vent. Some people are reluctant to actually make a HOLE. I think they think that water will leak in. Yeah, so?

Cool story, but I still can't find a pool to test my gear near San Francisco.

You would think that after 7 1/2 years, they would have this figured out.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom