any resorts in Mexican Mayan Riviera with good onsite snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barcelo Maya is pretty good. We stayed at the Palace twice and would go back in a heart beat.

Are you even willing to go offsite? Snorkelling in Akumal Bay will more or less guarantee seeing turtles and to the south a huge reef. Yal kul is just further in and sheltered. Plus Akmual is great place to spend the day and escape resort food& drink. Grand Palladium is nearby.
There are others, Akumal Beach Resort is right on Akumal bay but 3 star. Has a cult following on locogingo.com , a better place to ask this question.

Been 4 times to the Roo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've had a very good time snorkeling in the bay at Puerto Aventuras. There isn't a huge amount of coral except over near the breakwater, but there, I have seen multiple species of angelfish, morays, brilliant green crabs, fireworms, and all sorts of other stuff. (We come home from cave diving, and I go out and do a swim and snorkel in the afternoon. It's been great fun, except I can rarely get anyone to do it with me.) PA has the Catalonia and Dreams PA as all-inclusive resorts. Both appear nice, although Dreams is fancier.

Stayed at the Akumal Beach Resort in Akumal Bay in 2006? The hotel had just had a fire that burned down the kitchen (no one was hurt). The rooms were nice, the food was just okay, but that might have been because they lost their kitchen the week before. The snorkeling was pretty awesome, and easy setup. Very affordable trip package. There is also a hotel and rental condos on the same bay if you are looking for something other than a 3 star AI. For snorkeling MR I would highly recommend it. Mikey is right - check out locogringo.com Ahh.... the good memories are coming back!

I've had a very good time snorkeling in the bay at Puerto Aventuras. There isn't a huge amount of coral except over near the breakwater, but there, I have seen multiple species of angelfish, morays, brilliant green crabs, fireworms, and all sorts of other stuff. (We come home from cave diving, and I go out and do a swim and snorkel in the afternoon. It's been great fun, except I can rarely get anyone to do it with me.) PA has the Catalonia and Dreams PA as all-inclusive resorts. Both appear nice, although Dreams is fancier.

Exactly my recommendation as well. With the breakwaters created by the entrance to the marina, the area out in front of the Omni is really super for snorkeling. Last fall we saw three or four turtles in there, as well as the creatures you mention. We've stayed at the Catalonia (but it's been a couple of years), and it's a nice resort, and easily within walking distance of the Omni. Only thing bad, though, is the beach erosion that has taken almost all of the sand from that area.

Too funny! We were booked to go to the ABR then too (was it 2006??? wow)but the fire gave us the chance to move to Catalonia Royal Tulum (nowhere near Tulum and not adults only at that time). So we sort of saved $300 (CRT was slightly more expensive) but IMO got a much better resort. We had a rental car so we drove down to Akumal many times. CRT went adults only soon after which was a shame as the staff at the kids club were awesome.

Never did figure out the ABR's cult like status on locogringo, weird.... Our last stay in Mexico was a villa just between Akumal and Half Moon Bay. total drag! My son just turned 10 so we could all finally become divers (we wanted to all learn together). But on our first open water dive our son became separated within 3minutes. He surfaced 20mins later well away from the boat. I won't go into detail (I posted it here somewhere) but I'm sure you can imagine...he was ok and had a great dive... by HIMSELF. Wife was done and we only did one more dive to get the Scuba cert. Weather was bad and there wasn't anything new to do or see. for 2 weeks!

As others have said - if you are in PDC hop a cab to Akumal. Spent all day there checking out the Turtles and eating fish tacos - great day!

As others have said - if you are in PDC hop a cab to Akumal. Spent all day there checking out the Turtles and eating fish tacos - great day!

Make sure to hit up the Lo-Ha for the mango margaritas to go with those tacos!

Back
Top Bottom