Any reef fish tank guys here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

t to the maxx2

Registered
Reaction score
Im thinking of setting up a nano reef. I have had a few tanks in the past, and currently own a 45 gallon fresh with 2 oscars and a 65 gallon salt with a 3 ft eel. Im thinking setting up a 15 gallon or so reef, how much am I looking to spend? And any recomendations on equipment?

This is a complex, detailed question. Why don't you visit one of the oodles of reef aquaria forums?

I currently have a 10 Gallon reef. Not hard to manage. 4 fish. 2 percula clowns. 1 skunk clown and 1 six line wrasse. All fish are over 2 yrs old. I have a whisper filter and a power head running that also pumps in air(so there's also an air pump running). For lights I have a cora unit that has 1 daylight bulb and 1 night bulb.

hnladue:
I currently have a 10 Gallon reef. Not hard to manage. 4 fish. 2 percula clowns. 1 skunk clown and 1 six line wrasse. All fish are over 2 yrs old. I have a whisper filter and a power head running that also pumps in air(so there's also an air pump running). For lights I have a cora unit that has 1 daylight bulb and 1 night bulb.
What kind of "reef" do you have with all those fish and 10 measly gallons? Dang, thinking about that gives me the willies.

A very nice little system, thank you. Everyone is doing just fine.

Could you elaborate on your inverts? Specifically their types, and how much biovolume they take up in your tank.

20 gallons is the minimum recommended size for a reef tank.

The rule of thumb is 1" per 10 gallons.

I had a 75g reef tank until Charley. :( I had kept it for over 5 years and had a lot of very large hard corals that I just can't replace. I also had a mandarin dragonette (psycodelic) that fed off a thriving copepod population, a regal tang, and two firefish, cleaner shrimp.

I never had to feed the tank, it was completely balanced. Water changes semi annually and replenishment with ro/di water.

It was the reason I got into diving initially, but when it was destroyed, I just couldn't bring myself to set it up again. I still have all of my equipment, so maybe one day...

I used to work in a reef-tank store. We only sold fishes that were tank-bred or "responsibly" caught...of course after seeing a real reef I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. Most of the corals we sold were cultured, as well as the live rock :). If you want to set up a mini reef here's a couple of rules of thumb. Try to use at least 3 watts per gallon on your lighting system. Use one of the daylight spectrum flourescent tubes, or compact flourescents if you can get them. I always loved the 20000k color because the little bit of blue in it seems to make the white brighter. Limit the amt of fish you would keep in the tank. In 15 gallons you might be able to fit in a couple of ocellaris or percula clowns, or maybe a goby and shrimp combo. Notice the "or" that's a TINY space for a couple of living creatures. You may see these guys real close together on a real reef, but remember that the water circulation is well...the whole ocean is available to sweep away the poo. Think of being in an elevator with someone continually farting. Eventually the smell is going to kill you. It's the same thing with a reef aquarium. Even with very frequent water changes, it's going to "stink" so respect the little guys by giving them enough space. Try to use at least "one pound per gallon" of live rock in your set up. Make the inverts the key feature, remember you have to monitor the Ca and I in the water, and have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite readings. You want great water quality. I believe you want about 400 ppm Ca and I couldn't tell you the Iodine off hand as I haven't done this in a while. All in all, invest a lot of money in the thing, and remember that fish and inverts aren't just disposable. Also, when you go to buy your livestock, make sure it comes from a reputable source. Fish caught in the Phillippines and Indonesia are often caught with cyanide. This ends up killing the fish (which you spent the money on), and the reef from which the fish came...and the people who caught the fish. Don't support that. Do your research on your shop. Never buy from someone who can't tell you where the livestock came from.

Also, try and get your hands on a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist." It's a great read and gives you a lot of insight.

Good luck!

Hey thanks! One of my 2 oscars just died today of hole in the head, and the other one is going soon too I think. I may set that tank up as a saltwater tank, ont a reef but a nice tank. What are some good hearty fish I can get that look nice and and are relatively tolerant to water conditions(I used to do saltwater so I know a bit about the care, but I was 11 at the time, im turning 16 on the 30th). The tank is a 45 gal tank.

Back
Top Bottom