Any recommendations for dive school to go pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

98stage2

Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering a move to the Ft. Lauderdale area and want to work towards becoming pro with a resort operations specialty. Any advice on what to look for, what to avoid, any particular schools better than others? I'm heading down there on Wednesday to look around so if you know of any place I should swing by let me know. :) THanks!

I'm considering a move to the Ft. Lauderdale area and want to work towards becoming pro with a resort operations specialty. Any advice on what to look for, what to avoid, any particular schools better than others? I'm heading down there on Wednesday to look around so if you know of any place I should swing by let me know. :) THanks!

Well PRO DIVE is certainly a smart choice. I have had personal experience with 5 instructors from Pro Dive and all were very good. I am currently looking for another instructor, and I strongly want someone from Pro Dive.

Phil Ellis

DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB!!! The scuba diploma mills (in my opinion, and I hire scuba professionals) do not adequately prepare you for a job in the scuba industry, they only prepare you to hand over lots of bucks. Also, tell us more about yourself. What is your certification level? How long have you been a diver? How old are you? Are you independantly wealthy? Do you have bills/other mouths to feed? Do you mind living in cramped quarters for months to barely make gas and beer money? The diving industry can be very rewarding, but most of the rewards are non-monetary. You can't eat pretty dives, you gotta have a little cash coming your way, too.

Teaching scuba is teaching a life-support class. If you're not properly prepared for all of the issues that could come up, you could end up as a lousy instructor that are reviled on this very board. Get lots and lots of dives under your belt, in a quarry, in cold water, in low vis, in the ocean, in the current, etc. before you take the responsibility for someone else's life in your hands.

At the end of the day, I would look at an instructor that came out of one of the diploma mill institutes as having a liability to overcome rather than being properly prepared to enter the industry. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule. The better prepared you are to enter one of these programs, the more value you will get out of it. I see a few posts on the Scubaboard about "Why can't I get a job, I just graduated from XYZ Scuba Academy". A lot of scuba employers look at diploma mills the same way I do.

Get lots and lots of dives under your belt, in a quarry, in cold water, in low vis, in the ocean, in the current, etc. before you take the responsibility for someone else's life in your hands.

If you are moving to Ft. Lauderdale, Phil is right, Pro Dive is the obvious choice. If you are moving just to go to an instructor factory, consider a few others. I also know a few very good Pro-Dive instructors, although they were good adventure teaching candidates and good water people before they went, which would have resulted in similar results with just about any factory.

A lot of scuba employers look at diploma mills the same way I do.

Don't worry about this sentiment; IMHO, employers who put that much stock in the diploma are not worth working for. If you are going to live in FT. Lauderdale, kick ass at Pro Dive and they will offer you a job! There are plenty of thousand dive before IDC divers, with tons of quarry, cold, no-vis experience that still suck as instructors years after becoming one.

If you have what it takes to become a great instructor, the only way to cut your teeth on instructing is after you become an instructor, in the real world of instructing divers. No matter how you get your instructor tag, if you don't put the effort into becoming the best you can be, and continuing that quest after your IE, you will not be what the industry needs in instructors.

I agree strongley with Halemano!!

I went to Pro-dive myself (only for IDC) And that was after being an assistant Instructor and teaching on a regular basis for over 2 years.

I feel they are a good school, there are somethings I didn't like but all in all they were great, And as said if you work/strive to be a good instructor and continue on from there you will get what you want out of it.

I'm not a big pro dive fan, but I've never done any training with them. My experience is based soley on interaction with graduates from their program.

I couldn't tell what kind of diving experience you have already, but my strongest advice is to have lots of it before you commit yourself and depend on it as your only source of income, especially in Florida.

I don't know how flexible with your plans you are, but you may want to look at the diving programs that the Florida Keys Community College offers.

I think Pro Dive is closing.

I don't know how flexible with your plans you are, but you may want to look at the diving programs that the Florida Keys Community College offers.

Speaking of graduates of a program, My IE was at FKCC, with candidates from all the PADI schools from Pro Dive south. The grapevine dirt was that a majority of the FKCC candidates did not pass the open book exam!

Speaking of graduates of a program, My IE was at FKCC, with candidates from all the PADI schools from Pro Dive south. The grapevine dirt was that a majority of the FKCC candidates did not pass the open book exam!

I don't know very much about the program, other than the fact that it exists, but I thought that it was interesting because it seemed to include a variety of classes aimed at dive center and resort management as part of the curriculum. I also liked the idea of students spending a semester learning how to teach diving rather than nine or ten days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom