Any reason to pay for more C cards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think what he was implying is that pretty much all diving skills are perishable.

Funny! I was just saying the exact same thing over in that thread where the OP almost bent himself by using tables for his second dive after he bent his computer on his first dive and it locked him out.

Funny! I was just saying the exact same thing over in that thread where the OP almost bent himself by using tables for his second dive after he bent his computer on his first dive and it locked him out.

How does one "Almost" get bent? :popcorn:

How does one "Almost" get bent? :popcorn:

Exceed an NDL (by a large margin), get your computer bent, do a second dive with no computer, based on using the tables incorrectly, and yet get out without any symptoms of DCS.

Or, to put it another way, incur substantial deco obligations and ignore them, but get no symptoms of DCS.

Exceed an NDL (by a large margin), get your computer bent, do a second dive with no computer, based on using the tables incorrectly, and yet get out without any symptoms of DCS.

Or, to put it another way, incur substantial deco obligations and ignore them, but get no symptoms of DCS.

Maybe with a nod to the term "undeserved hit," one could say he got an "undeserved pass."

Maybe with a nod to the term "undeserved hit," one could say he got an "undeserved pass."

Ha! I read a post yesterday where someone said he heard/read an instructor say "there is no such thing as an undeserved hit." I liked that and think it's a good philosophy. But, I can definitely agree with the concept of an undeserved pass!

He bent his computer because he mistakenly set it on max conservative. What he did after the computer went into deco was in the range of foolish to stupid and on to self destructive.

Depending on which poster you believe, that ran his profile on their software, he may or may not have had an actual deco obligation. Regardless, it would be too close for my blood now.

I believe he was almost bent as well. However, overstating your case is unnecessary.

Bob
---------------------------------------------
I think that advocating unsafe and dangerous practices is both stupid and foolish. That is why I don't tell people to do what I do. Dsix36

Under SDI I can teach a number of specialties. One of them is Computer Nitrox. It came with my crossover. I have yet to teach it and don't even offer it on the price list I hand out for classes. In a little more time and for the same price I offer the TDI Nitrox class. It's also the foundation for Adv Nitrox and Deco should they want to continue with those.

I do cover computers but, as someone else already stated, there are so many of them and I can't cover all of them. If a student shows up with one then two things can happen. I show them how to use it or we both learn how. I have never used a Suunto or Uwatec computer so I'd need to go through the manual with the student to show them and maybe explain some items that are not as clear to them as they might be to me. Or figure out that the manual sucks and they need to have the dealer they bought it from explain it or give them a coupon for the Dive Nav class. My last computer user/nitrox student was an easy one. He showed up with a Petrel. That manual is in plain English and not full of useless bullcrap and doubletalk. Plus I dive a Predator so the basics I knew already.

Many of my OW students don't want to shell out the money for a computer. They don't have to since I offer OW under SEI. Tables are still taught in it along with the Navy Air Deco tables for emergencies and gas management.

One thing I do not do is combine specialties. My UW Nav class is six dives. The SDI Deep Class is four dives minimum. Though wrecks may be deep there are things in the deep class that don't need the additional distraction of a wreck.

The SDI Wreck class I offer is 5 Dives. Reason is I use it as prep for Adv Wreck so some of the skills and knowledge from that is included in the recreational class.
Plus I wouldn't give discounts for combining classes so why do it? There is enough information in the each class to risk serious overload of the student when you include the supplements I use as allowed by standards.

Reactions: RJP
Under SDI I can teach a number of specialties. One of them is Computer Nitrox. It came with my crossover. I have yet to teach it and don't even offer it on the price list I hand out for classes. In a little more time and for the same price I offer the TDI Nitrox class.

I have taken both. I wish I had known about the TDI version before I took the SDI one. I would have saved myself the time and skipped the SDI one. OTOH, it was cheaper the way I did it. My shop only charged me half price for the TDI course because I took the SDI course through them. They charge less than half the cost for SDI Nitrox compared to what they charge for TDI Nitrox.

Back
Top Bottom