Any reason NOT to use NiMH rechargeables??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highdesert:
can I buy this ...

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1652

... and end up with a decent unit that will get the job done?
Universal voltage capability. Fast charge. The spec is a bit ambiguous, but it looks like it independently monitors each of the 4 batteries. And it handles multiple types of batteries. Looks like a real winner. You aren't going to find anything with materially better performance, and $34 is a superb price.

Pretty husky output of 1000mA will very rapidly charge AA batteries. The only drawback I see is the 6 hour charge time for real, full capacity C cells, and 10 or 12 hours for D cells.

I've got too laugh! He just wanted a charger recommendation (lol) :)

I would have really liked to purchase the C808m maha charger but I was having this internal struggle with buying a charger that cost me more than my light!

But, my batteries work and last a long time between charges.

Hopefully you'll like whichever one suits your needs.

Hey, this thread has been very educational to me, so no worries with throwing more info at me than I asked for. I'm kind of a research junkie anyway; I just hadn't done the homework on this subject. Like I tell my daughter in college, no education is ever wasted, no matter what the subject!

But I have to agree with Chewie07 when it comes to cost ... for those of us who use your basic plastic dive light, it's hard to justify the cost of a charger that costs more than the light. On the other hand, I have so many hundreds of times in my life saved a few bucks buying something cheaper only to regret it after the fact. So there's ammo for the argument to spend the big bucks now. Still scratching my head!

Hoosier:
A rechargeable option is definately more economical choice. But, the charge set only lasts a half of a shelf battery (non-rechargeable). For example, UK HID Canon hold 8 C cells. It will cost a lot if you keep using a shelf battery.
Are you sure about that? With my Light Cannon, I get a solid 4 hours use out my 6000 MaH C cells from Thomas Distrib. How long do your alkalines last?

the only real problem with NiMH is when you put them in series there is a chance that you can kill the cells. the more you have in series the easier it is. this however, is an easy problem to remedy, do not drain the batteries all the way.

I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I couldnt find a clear answer here or anywhere. I have a UK C8 eLED. Can/Should I use AA rechargables in C housings? I would either use Eneloop or Duracell 2650mAH batteries. The former because of longer high-voltage or the latter with more total juice.

1) Does anyone regularly do this?

2) I would guess the UK light has a good regulator and thus could run down to the lower voltages of the higher-cap batteries. Therefore I would get more dive time on the 2650 batteries. But all I really need is ~2hrs (1hr+ dive time, plus maybe some time fiddling on the boat or swimming to/from dive).

My plan would be to recharge every dive since I want to always know i have full juice.

I am not too concerned with the shelf life aspect of either battery version. I own and use both. I use them in all sorts of things so "lifetime" of the battery is not a concern. Reliable light underwater is my only concern. Presumably if people are getting several dives out of C-cell rechargables I should easily get one or two dives out of a set of either of these.

I have read in one thread about an explosion risk in using these underwater. I am willing to take this as far too precautious (dont drive, you might crash) and just ignore it... unless enough people are concerned.

Just FYI - my inspiration for this is indeed saving money (and weight). To go on my next dive trip (hopefully 14 night dives) I would take 2 sets of new C's. $20. I can get 2 sets of AA 2650's for $15 (sale right now at Target - go get them!!!) and get 8 C-size converters on Ebay for $12. So for pretty much a wash in cost I pack less and have batteries for a LONG time.

Thanks!
J

I used high capacity (6000mah) NiMH C-cells in my UK Light Cannon. They worked great. I see no reason why the lower capacity cells wouldn't work, also, since the voltage is the same. The life will be a LOT lower, however... I'd consider doing a test, either in a bathtub or on a daytime dive, before depending on the light for a long night dive.

I got tired of coming home with seveal sets of partly used Cs so I now use NiMH AAs in my "C" lights all the time. My camera, strobe and other lights are AAs so it only makes sence to use them in all my lights, one less charger to carry. While the total burn time is not as long, it is plenty for my application- shallow warm water night dives and daylight use to look into holes. They would not be my choice for advanced dives but losing a light on the dives I use them on is no big deal....half the time I don't have it on anyway, I prefer to hang back and follow the other divers lights...you would be amazed at what you see. :)
Another source of the adapters. I have ordered from these guys on several occasions, alway a quick and good experience.
Thomas Distributing

I've started doing this as well, AA rechargeables in everything and in the C adapters where needed. We are already carrying the charger and AA rechargeables for strobes. Less weight for travel and simpler than taking several types of batteries. Don't care about the lower capacity, it's sufficient and I can just recharge them.

Back
Top Bottom