Any pros to having a black skirt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigFame

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
on a mask of course. I tried on a clear mask and thought the ambient light would be a plus not to mention it may provide minimal (but some) peripheral vision. So my question is am I missing something? Why wouldn't everyone use a clear mask? Is there a pro I am not seeing?

If you're a photographer the clear skirt allows light in from the side which greatly interferes with what you see in the viewfinder.

p.s. I just noticed all the similar threads at the ottom, I am sorry didn't realize I could search the topic. Thanks for the info.

Often softer silicone than the clear counterpart?

But the most important pro of all... It. looks. cooler.

Stays looking nicer over time too. Clear skirts tend to become yellow after a while.

It depends. I have two masks (Deep See Omni frameless), one has a black mask skirt and the other has a clear mask skirt.

In bright sunlight and for shallow dives where glare might be an issue I use the black one, for limited vis or for night dives I actually prefer the clear one. I always take both masks and decide at the start of the dive which one I'll use.

Yes, the clear one does yellow over time. :shrug: It just means its getting used, and isn't that the whole idea?

Just for the record, some masks come with blue skirts:
03-001.jpgimage2402.gifimage2403.gifimage2404.gif

wp274315f7.pngwp2f088b72.jpgwp3e9a1270.pngwp9e82d9ed.jpg

Last edited:
I believe black skirts give you a crispier clearer view. It keeps light out that can create distracting glares. Photographers use them. A clear skirt to me gives no added peripheral view. If you believe that it does, will you still believe that after the silicone starts to mellow yellow? Ever noticed when it is bright outside people typically cup their hands over their eyes to see better? Or how it is much easier if it is dark outside to see into a lighted interior rather than be in the lighted interior and see outside? Besides the fact I just think it looks better, rather than see everyone's squished noses bunched in their mask. :)

On the flip side my girlfriend is starting to get into diving (she has yet to be certified) and she is very claustrophobic. We just bought her the Mares Xvision Liquidskin mask with a clear skirt. She believes (and it came as some good recommendations) that the clear skirt will not make her feel as closed in. We'll see.

The black skirt helps you focus on the task at hand. I won't go back to clear.

my 1.5psi

Back
Top Bottom