Any pros to having a black skirt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow folks lots of good info, had not thought of any of that well except for the one thing that would be a selling point for me as I am as new a scuba diver as I can be (read that not yet cert'ed)

rakkis nailed it, they do look much cooler. I think they look like some kind of Ninja, Commando or Special Ops stuff, and lets face it every one wants to be able to look like a cool commando. I do.

Thanks again folks, great info.

on a mask of course. I tried on a clear mask and thought the ambient light would be a plus not to mention it may provide minimal (but some) peripheral vision. So my question is am I missing something? Why wouldn't everyone use a clear mask? Is there a pro I am not seeing?
I use a variety of masks with black & clear skirts. I really like the clear skirt too because it lets more light in and offers a bit of peripheral vision. The first time I tried one I immediately liked it much more than my previous mask with a black skirt. It bothers some people because you can get in positions where you may get some glare in bright conditions. Masks are a very personal piece of gear and if the clear skirt works for you then stick with it.

I will go the opposite way and say clear skirts have a place in diving. My primary and backup are both black skirted masks. We found when trying to signal each other with our cannister lights, that the clear skirt is easier to make contact with your buddy using your light, without having to shine it in their eyes. I just ordered another Liquid Skin, in a clear skirted mid this time, to try out. My dive buddy switched to a clear skirt awhile ago. FWIW he is DIR.

Dive conditions will also dictate what mask. As mentioned above shallow water dives or snorkeling, a black mask is superior, as it cuts the glare completely. Our diving conditions here tend to be low vis dives and under 40 feet so bright ambient light is sometimes almost non existent, especially under a kelp canopy, so glare is a non issue.

For those of you that want peripheral vision with a black skirt: :D

Attachments

• Doc_De_Mill-Amirante_07-04-2008_116.jpg
    Doc_De_Mill-Amirante_07-04-2008_116.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Eric Posing with an Eagle Ray on the Doc Demilly.jpg
    Eric Posing with an Eagle Ray on the Doc Demilly.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 121
If someone kick your mask off or you drop it, you many not be able to see a clear frame-less (or clear frame) mask. Another advantage of a black mask is that you will be able to see a black mask much easier either in mid-water or on the bottom.

Through the years I have used both and they both have pro and cons.

A clear mask skirt is at minimal a bit annoying, and in bright light downright distracting. It will allow sunlight to shine through the sides, and can create glare.

Clear skirts are not clear in the sense you can see much of anything through them. So if you can't really see through them anyway, what is the point of having a clear skirt? Clear skirts also discolor, and turn a nice shade of ugly brown/yellow over time.

I dive a black skirt. I've found that if one goes for a max field of vision, like that afforded by the Mares XVision, or Atomic frameless, you are not trying to try and see through the sides anyway.

A mask with a black skirt will reduce the amount of UV radiation you will be exposed to on the surface swimming back to the boat and also at shallow depths in tropical or otherwise very clear water.

rakkis nailed it, they do look much cooler. I think they look like some kind of Ninja, Commando or Special Ops stuff, and lets face it every one wants to be able to look like a cool commando. I do.

If you are thinking that you are going to look like a stud in dive gear... think again! :rofl3:

Only divers find dive gear *cool*. For the rest it is just a truck load of ugly, unnecessary stuff!

For me, no yellowing, no glare and less chance for seasickness! I find when I wear a clear skirt mask, I'm more inclined to become seasick.....I don't like the motion I can see in my periphery.

like others have said, the black skirt is better w/picture taking etc. and you also see more with the black skirt that you may not have seen otherwise.

Black skirt not good if clausterphobic (which you probably wouldn't dive if you were :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom