Any plans for a smaller singles wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I love Halcyon stuff... I've owned 2 Eclipses and an Evolve.

I'm planning to replace my singles wing in the next 18-24 months and, ideally, I'd love to stick with Halcyon. However, I am really attracted to the Oxycheq Mach V Extreme 18lb, because of the smaller (18lb) bladder size...and the extra-tough fabric.

Does anyone know if Halcyon are/would consider making a smaller size wing, that is most suitable for tropical diving? Same question about higher specification 'armored' fabric?

An 18lb, extra-tough, Eclipse would be heavenly!!!

I have an 18lb Halcyon wing - the 'Bat Wing'. They quit making them almost 10 years ago because they're too small. So they probably wouldn't take them up again.

I use it for warm water dives (2mm shorty, no weights) and it's marginal even for that, but I like it's compactness. I would trade it for one of the old 27lb wings with the blue gusset in like condition. :)

Will ask Ken tomorrow
I do dive with the 30 infinity system most of the time and find it to be easy easy easy to travel with and very little drag. I have used various smaller wings too and I don't miss them 30 with a good narrow shape seems a perfect fit. 6 feet tall 190 lbs steel 100 alu bp with weighted STA
Good luck

I have an 18lb Halcyon wing - the 'Bat Wing'. They quit making them almost 10 years ago because they're too small. So they probably wouldn't take them up again.

I use it for warm water dives (2mm shorty, no weights) and it's marginal even for that, but I like it's compactness. I would trade it for one of the old 27lb wings with the blue gusset in like condition. :)

Why do you feel the 18 lb wing is too small for warm water diving. I have an 18 lb Oxychek wing that I use for tropical diving and find it works just fine. I use a heavier 30 lb wing for diving temperate waters in 5mm+ exposure protection but prefer the 18 lb wing with light exposure protection.

I can see the smaller wing for tropical diving, but I don't see point in the extra-tough fabric in the same wing. It's not like you're going to wear it out rubbing up against the colorful fish.

I must have asked a good dozen times in the last 8 years......they have no plans to make the Batwing (or similar) again.
I still have 2 old very, very ratty looking Batwings I regularly use....in the vain hope that they will reflect badly on Halcyon (compared to the nice new looking DSS (when they don't leak) and Oxycheq wings I have my students use, and maybe I can guilt them into making a small wing.

DeepSeaExplorer....the blue gussets were only on the biggest Pioneer, I'll have a dig around and see if I have any nice Pioneer 27's left.

DeepSeaExplorer....the blue gussets were only on the biggest Pioneer, I'll have a dig around and see if I have any nice Pioneer 27's left.

I actually had one, but my Ex got it in the split. If you can find a nice one, let me know...

Why do you feel the 18 lb wing is too small for warm water diving. I have an 18 lb Oxychek wing that I use for tropical diving and find it works just fine. I use a heavier 30 lb wing for diving temperate waters in 5mm+ exposure protection but prefer the 18 lb wing with light exposure protection.

I love my 18 pounder - under the water. That's why it's not for sale. :D I wear it with an AL plate and a 2mm shorty as you say in warm water. On the surface, it doesn't float me well. I can deal because I'm comfortable in the water, and like it so much under water, but I could not recommend it to anyone. It's perhaps the ultimate in minimalist diving, which has pros and cons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom