Any other photographers out there feel rushed and left behind on dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering what some of you folks out there think about how underwater photographers - who want to take good pictures and often times must take a little longer to do it - should keep up with groups?

I've found myself in drift diving instances or guided diving situations (because I'm old school and would prefer not to dive alone - even though I'm more than capable) where when I come upon a subject I want to get some good shots of I simply wait until everyone has made their way through, taken their shots and I'd like to work that animal for a little while. This helps so that no one is waiting behind me to finish, but it also results in me always bringing up the rear and sometimes I wind up getting left behind.

Do any of you out there share the same frustrations? Some of us don't feel the need to cover 5 football fields worth of ground underwater.....some of us want to take our time and get good shots. This seems to especially be the case if I'm shooting macro. It seems that unless I'm in Papua New Guinea on a liveaboard filled with photographers that so many dive groups just want to move and move and move and then move some more!

Your thoughts?

I've been in the same boat many times. Once in a place that I was diving every day for a month my DM was really annoying me banging on his tank trying to get me to stop taking so much time,after 35 mins of this, I slowly flipped him the bird and went back to shooting. Needless to say he wasn't pleased. My conversation after the incident with the shop managers went well with him backing off. I don't appreciate being left behind either. Of course many of us photographers end up getting left behind. I've been left behind in shallow water which I don't mind so much, but in deeper water I mind it a bit. It's no fun to kick furiously trying to catch up. I always try and gauge a new DM by looking to see how much he looks back.I always tell the DM I like to dive slow and take my time shooting photos, but then again that doesn't always work.
That said Tulamben and Lembeh are great for photographers. In Tulamben at LDR I end up having a private guide as I'm a solo diver. Lembeh has really small groups.The liveaboards in Komodo and Raja also have small groups and are pretty photographer friendly.

I was wondering what some of you folks out there think about how underwater photographers - who want to take good pictures and often times must take a little longer to do it - should keep up with groups?

I don't take pictures, but have given up the entire concept of "keeping up with the group".

I know where I am and where the boat is and if they don't want to have to wait for me at the end of the dive, they can just dive slower.

This isn't any stupid-long two hour dive on a recreational boat, but if they can't give me an hour or a little more underwater, it sucks to be them.

flots.

ditto on the frustration. I like to spend time in one spot looking in the little nooks and crannies for critters. I've had a lot of fish-others approach me if I'm quietly (as much as a bubble blowing monster can be) hovering in one spot.

Learned from hunting on land that crashing through the woods just scares things away.

It helps to tell the boat crew in advance what you intend to do. They can either buddy you up with someone else who wants to dive slowly, or perhaps go a bit slower with the group. But this is the frustration of guided dives.

usually, i head out with other photogs and we just stay in the "general vicinity" of each other (able to see bubbles or lights)...while the guided dive deal may be frustrating, a bunch of photogs in one area is just as bad sometimes.

We must understand that there are many ways to dive and people have very different expectations. If you sign up for a guided dive then that is normally what you'll receive. That is not a dedicated photo dive.

If you want a dedicated photography dive, you have many options- each with their own pros and cons:
a) Dive solo
b) find a buddy who wants to dive with you
c) hire a private guide
d) dive as part of a group of photographers (pretty much 'a').

Simple solution: don't dive as part of a group.

We no longer go places where guided dives are mandatory.

Difficult not to follow the dive guide on drift dives and dives in new and unfamiliar locations, especially in open ocean or with currents. It still drives me crazy. I'm not much for "tours". I'd rather find a beautiful spot and hang around discovering things. Guided dives do allow you to see what you came for, though, as the DM's tend to know the locations of the most prized subjects. That's why we travel once or twice a year and spend the rest of the time diving on familiar turf off our own boat in our own Monterey backyard. Even though I see and photograph the same subjects over and over, it's always new and interesting. Once in a while something comes along that makes it all the more worthwhile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom