Any opinions on the following Dive Ops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to everyone. I sent emails out to all the Ops I mentioned and got responses. I have narrowed it down to Gaz's suggestions: Chuck and Robbies and Ched at Cap'n Ron. I have seen nothing but great reviews on both of those Ops. It's a toss up, and while Ched might have only one small boat, I've experience more breakdowns with multiple-boat Ops. I guess if you have one boat, it gets all your attention.

I don't ever shop for an Op based on the lowest package price, but all things appearing equal between these two, that will probably make the decision for me. Again, can't thank all of you enough. If you ever want advise/tips on divie trips to the Florida Keys or Cozumel, please ask. I've been diving those spots for years and can get you off "the tourist path", when it comes to where to go and what to do between dives. Thanks again.

Wayne

Have a great trip and please write up a report for us when you get back!

Just returned and stayed at Paradise Villas. The name of the dive operation in front of the villas on Wet Willy's pier is "Dive Adventures". Carl skippers the "Bigga Bubble" boat and exibited the best seamanship I have ever seen. Mike is the divemaster and is very personable and thorough. I recommend them for the local dives.

For the Blue Hole I went with "Amigos Del Mar" and would recommend them; they took care of everything from assembling the equipment, washing out each diver's mask, serving lunch then hanging each diver's wetsuit out to dry during the lunch break and finally pouring rum drinks for us to enjoy on the boat ride back to shore.

How was Paradise villas for you? I'm picking between villas and Sunbreeze hotel. Diving with one of the smaller ops unless I get a reasonable rate from Amigos.

Just returned and stayed at Paradise Villas. The name of the dive operation in front of the villas on Wet Willy's pier is "Dive Adventures". Carl skippers the "Bigga Bubble" boat and exibited the best seamanship I have ever seen. Mike is the divemaster and is very personable and thorough. I recommend them for the local dives.

For the Blue Hole I went with "Amigos Del Mar" and would recommend them

How was Paradise villas for you? I'm picking between villas and Sunbreeze hotel. Diving with one of the smaller ops unless I get a reasonable rate from Amigos.

Through the years, I have stayed at both. Both are nice in their own respective ways.

The Sunbreeze is a pretty nice HOTEL. It has the Blue Water Grill with some great food, a really nice pool, a great bar for hanging around after diving, and its within walking distance to downtown. And its walking distance from the airstrip. Actually its right across the street but you hear very little airport noise the way the hotel is situated. The rooms are fairly large, I believe some have small fridges, but its still a simple room. As a single or a couple it would work well. As a family, pretty crowded.

Paradise Villas is a nice condo complex on the north end of town. It also has a great pool and is within very close distance to many food establishments within town. The rooms are a little older but comfortable. The kitchens are functional but certainly not the newest of equipment. For us this was a great facility in which to eat breakfast at home, some lunches, and some dinners. The food options on Ambergris are far too many to stay home everynight. But if you want to do some cooking to save some cash, then Paradise works well at a fair price. Also within walking distance to 2 grocery stores. I have always rented through Nellies http://nelliesproperty.com/ but have also known people that have rented through Tradewinds http://tradewindsparadisevillas.com/ The units that each rent are different.

Be sure to have a breakfast or 2 at Estelles and a dinner at Wild Mangos. By far our favorites.

With regards to dive shops, Amigos is certainly the largest and the one you want to target if you plan on diving the Atolls. If you are looking for good local diving, with small groups and good divemasters, I'd suggest Island Divers. Welcome to Island Divers Belize Rudy and his crew have been taking very fine care of our family for the last 4 years. We will see them again in March. I can't wait.
If you need any more info, dont be afraid to ask, Ken

Ken, thanks for recommendations - we have decided to stay at the Sunbreeze Suites and (based on our communications with various shops) go with Island divers. I understand most shops don't make many trips to the atolls during off season - especially Turneffe (Blue Hole/Lighthouse seems to be the favorite with most). Is diving atolls any easier from Caye Caulker? Thanks.

Second recommendation for Island Divers if you're staying in SP, great shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom