Any opinions on the following Dive Ops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waynel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wife and I are headed to AC for a week of diving in June. This is only our second trip there (first trip in 2009). We usually take two trips a year but it's always to Key Largo or Cozumel. After years of hauling gear on and off boats every day, rinsing/storing, and fin shuffling 20 feet along the deck of cattle boats, I owe her another pampered dive trip.

Here's my question, and I'm only asking because I'm dropping some serious cash. With only two dive trips a year, we do some intensive diving. In 2009, we dove with (can't remember the Dive Op) a DM named Billy out of Belizean Shores. Well, she loved the service, the crew, everything.

We are advanced level with over 100 dives, have all our own gear. Please don't knock someone on safety issues. We learned years ago that we have to take care of each other. I'm looking for "services"; condition of their tanks, storing and taking good care our gear, knowledge of the reef, decents boats, etc.

I've asked for and received some good one week discounted pacakages from the following OPs. Anyone have any experience/opinions with the following:

Capn' Ron (at Tradewinds where we are staying)
Ambregis Caye Diving
Chuck & Robbies Scuba Diving & Instruction
White Sands Dive Shop
Ecological Amigos del Mar

Many thanks for taking a moment to help me.
Wayne

Tradewinds manage part of the resort called Paradise Villas, located to the northern part of the central area of the town of San Pedro. It's on the beach. Two dive operators are pretty close, Ecologic and the one at Wet Willies' dock whose name I can't even remember! Amigos del Mar is one of the biggest and oldest local operators and has nothing to do with Ecologic, though they're close to each other.

Of the dive operators you mentioned, the ones with unassailable reputations are Chuck & Robbies, White Sands Dive Shop and Amigos del Mar. Ecologic have a pretty good but variable reputation, I don't know who Ambergris Caye Diving is (I don't think there is such a dive shop), and AFAIK Cap'n Ron just does fishing and maybe some other trips, but not diving. Of that lot my local choice would be Chuck & Robbies. White Sands is several miles away, although they will come and pick you up. If I were staying nearer them I would dive with them in a heartbeat, but I like to be within walking distance of my dive operator.

Two others you haven't mentioned are Island Divers and Belize Dive Connection. Island Divers is my overall favourite for local diving, and indeed for the odd Turneffe trip. They combine efficiency with a laid-back friendly atmosphere, and they have a tremendous repeat rate. They're located on the dock of the Spindrift Hotel in the center of town, maybe five minutes walk from your resort.

Belize Dive Connection (usually with "Hugh Parkey's" on the front) is one of the most major operators in the whole of Belize, but they have only recently come to San Pedro and are located at Sunbreeze Hotel. They have a seemingly inexhaustible supply of large American-style dive boats, which they share between their various locations. Very high reputation indeed.

But as I said my choice would be Island Divers Welcome to Island Divers Belize .

I'm assuming staying at Paradise Villas is a given. If that's also up for grabs, I might mention that good friends of mine who come here every year (and used to dive with my dive shop, but now dive with Island Divers) used to stay at Paradise Villas (the other part, under different management) and enjoyed it, but then managed to get an amazing deal at Grand Colony, which is greatly up-market. I think they paid about the same. Maybe Ken ("yakivet") will come on here and relate his experiences.

I stayed at the Sunbreeze and dove with Belize Dive Connection a short while ago (April 1st through the 10th) and had a great experience. I have limited diving experience, and was incredibly fortunate in that I was the only diver signed up for the first four days so it was just me and the DM for 12 dives. He took it upon himself to help me become a better diver, and I felt like my skills improved dramatically by the end of the trip. A bit of empirical evidence: It was my first deep-water diving, and my first dive lasted all of 19 minutes. My fourth dive was 40 minutes. I would go back to them any time. No experience with the others, although I met a couple of the guys from Island Divers and they were great to talk to and obviously extremely knowledgeable.

I'm heading down tomorrow, diving with Island Divers, I have heard they are phenomenal. Rudy has been extremely responsive to my emails and extremely accommodating. I'll let you know from experience in a week!

You can't beat Rudy at Island divers. He is my favorite

Of the dive operators you mentioned, the ones with unassailable reputations are Chuck & Robbies, White Sands Dive Shop and Amigos del Mar. Ecologic have a pretty good but variable reputation, I don't know who Ambergris Caye Diving is (I don't think there is such a dive shop), and AFAIK Cap'n Ron just does fishing and maybe some other trips, but not diving. QUOTE]

Capt Rons does offer diving packages/diving and he uses Ched a well known and liked guy who used to work for me, as Did Robbie of Chuck and Robbies and both of those are really small personal operations, and very close by to where you are staying. Ched is right out front where as Chuck and Robbies (who get EXCELLENT REVIEWS) are just a 100 yards to your left as you come out of Paradise villas (beachside).

Based on where you are staying (and only that) Chuck and Robbies or Ched right in front are the most convenient and both are good if I had to pick between the 2 I would say Chuck and Robbies just because of the Impeccable reviews they receive time and time again, Ched is just too small and personal (1 boat) and does not get much press but the press/reviews he does get I only hear good things.

Gaz Cooper

Hi Wayne-

Glad you are headed to Ambergris. Lately it has been a favorite destination for myself, wife and daughter. We have now visited 6 times over the last few years.

Twice now I have stayed at Paradise Villas. We have always rented a unit through Nellie Gomez, but have had friends rent through Tradewinds. The resort is nice and simple. Slightly older condos with fairly decently stocked kitchens if you are inclined to do any cooking at home. Certainly nothing fancy but a nice place to hang your hat after a day of diving. They have a really nice pool and are very close to 2 grocery stores. We have since shifted South, PM if you'd like more lodging info.

I honestly can't tell you much about the mentioned dive shop operations. White Sands is probably a bit too far north to be practical, but I'm sure they would pick you up at the Paradise Villas dock.

When you say "Ecological Amigos del Mar" I'm guessing you are referring to the 2 different dive shops, Ecologic and Amigo's del Mar. I believe Ecologic has undergone some changes in the last year, both with ownership and employees. Reviews seem a bit mixed right now. I believe Amigo's is still a well run, but large shop.

I, like some of the others that have responded to your post, have been doing all my recent diving with Island Divers. Welcome to Island Divers Belize Rudy Duran, Nef, Lloydy and Martin will all do there very best to insure you have an enjoyable experience. If you havn't already done so, I'd send Rudy an email and tell him what you are looking for. Our family, along with some friends, completed our most recent dives with Rudy during the first part of this month. Some days there were 6-8 divers on his boat. Other days it was just my wife and I. If there are newbys or students on board, I've seen Rudy divide into 2 groups divided so as to keep similarly skilled divers together. Once they make the determination that you know what you are doing, Rudy and his guys will let you dive your computers. This is nice as the outside, deeper sections of the reef provide better visability and a bit more to see. Most dive ops get Nitrox from Amigo's del Mar and Rudy will do the same. I'm guessing you are Nitrox certified, but if you aren't, consider taking the class while you are there.

You'll love the trip. Tons of places to eat and lots to see. Let us know if you need any more information. Ken :42:

I dove with Chuck and Robbie's twice (10 dives in November, 2010 and 10 in March, 2011). I'd use them again in a heartbeat. They are fun, professional, straight-up folks who cater to every level of diver. Everyone gets to dive their computer. They clean and store as much gear as you care to leave the entire week and they have it ready on the boat each morning for you. They will also send a boat to pick you up and return you to the nearest dock if you're disinclined to walk to the shop.

Just a quick note for Peter Ambergris Caye Diving is the website for Chuck and Robbies which is probably where the OP picked it up from

Gaz Cooper

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom