any one shoot gar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does this look like something you would want to spear and eat? LOL

ScubaTexan:
Does this look like something you would want to spear and eat? LOL

I have fished for them for years (the needle-nose or Long nose Lepisosteus osseus ) at Lake Livingston and Lake Lewisville. They put up quite a fight. As a boy, I had numerous friends who ate these things as well as Carp and Buffalo. They loved it when I'd give them these things, and I was happy to do it.

Just so you know. Tommy's 200 pounder wasn't even a record for bow fishing (good grief!!). In 2001 Marty McClellan got a 290 pound 8 foot monster.

In Indiana when we catch a gar we beat it to death and leave it for buzzard bait. Had a fishin buddy that would cook them up but it wasn't worth the time.

As an aside, I thought I'd post these links that I found on another site.

One in Arkansas a few months ago.

And One in 1910.

Remind me again, who's at the top of the food chain? :D

Remember to get your story straight before you are questioned by a Texas gamewarden ..... they see a speargun in freshwater and think the worst.......

crpntr133:
In Indiana when we catch a gar we beat it to death and leave it for buzzard bait.

Pleeeeeez say you were joking...

Foo

Cudabait:
All the Alligator Gar I've speared were in Lake Bistineau,(TX, LA ARK border) in LA>\.The water color has a tea color to it and it has been some years since I dived the lake. However they used to hold an Alligator Gar Rodeo there during the month of December.

For some reason, during the very cold months the gar seem to hibernate, clumped together like cordwood. We speared some that were huge. Can't seem to find many people wh have recent info on the lake. I don't eat 'em.

Regards,
why shoot um if you dont eat them?

JD,

I didn't eat them then and I don't eat them now. However, they used to hold spearfshing tournamests in that lake. The purpose was to thin out the tons of huge Al Gars that were depleting the game fish in the lake. It was at a point in time that preceded your birth. I don't think they hold the tournaments any longer. Thanks for the interest.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom