Question Any one have a properly fitted mask in the store that leaks when in the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mystical Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a strange question. After the aqualung mask I have was leaking into the nose cavity, I went to my LDS and tried out various masks again. My instructor was actually the one helping me. He had others look at it also as I apparently have a large head. I found an apeks mask that fit well, really popped when taking it off after inhaling through my nose. (even with having a full beard and mustache) However when I got to the pool in 5-9 feet of water it kept leaking from the sides into the eye cavity. I tried tighter and looser on the straps but couldnt get it to stop leaking. Thankfully we were in the remove the mask and reinstall it and remove the mask and breath portion of training but it was still annoying.

My instructor was actually surprised by it since he had seen how well it had fit earlier that day. We are going to try it again thursday before class but its perplexing.

Has anyone had this happen to them? any thoughts and ideas? I liked the mask especially with the coated lens. However I just want one that is reliable and doesnt leak for me.

Did you have a mouthpiece or snorkel in place in the store? That may change things enough to leak for some people.

ETA: also, I like to place it on my face while looking up, but NOT pressing down. If an inhale will grab it under its own weight that's a good fit.

I like to place it on my face while looking up, but NOT pressing down. If an inhale will grab it under its own weight that's a good fit.

^^^^^ This! Don't push the mask on your face, just look up and inhale. Make sure that all hair is out of the way first.

Did you have a mouthpiece or snorkel in place in the store? That may change things enough to leak for some people.

ETA: also, I like to place it on my face while looking up, but NOT pressing down. If an inhale will grab it under its own weight that's a good fit.
no snorkel or mouthpiece in while in the store. I did put a neoprene cover on the strap at home also.

I tried the fit check at home again and i still get a good pop. I will try it after the f1 race with a snorkel in.

Try wearing it a bit looser
I will try this in the pool tomorrow when I go to swim. I know i tend to pull them tighter when theres a leak but I did try to loosen it some.

^^^^^ This! Don't push the mask on your face, just look up and inhale. Make sure that all hair is out of the way first.
Usually when Ive been trying then on I simply hold them to my face then inhale. I dont push it on much. I will try looking up next time.

One problem i have is my right nostril tends to be stuffy making it difficult to inhale alot. I can exhale through it fine and equalization is also fine. Just inhaling blocks it up some.

I did put a neoprene cover on the strap
That may be contributing to it slipping to a bad angle, since the whole point of such a cover is to not grab your hair. If you go back to a normal strap, just put the strap in place first followed by the mask to avoid the hair pulling.

I have pretty deeply recessed temples. I have tried a pile of masks. Even ones that seal properly in a store test will usually leak a little when not under active (even if slight) suction. I finally found one that works OK most of the time - on the extremely rare dive I get no leaks, most a bit, some are continual masks clearing practice.

Long answer for "yes". Some of us just have facial structures that are problematic.

I have pretty deeply recessed temples. I have tried a pile of masks. Even ones that seal properly in a store test will usually leak a little when not under active (even if slight) suction. I finally found one that works OK most of the time - on the extremely rare dive I get no leaks, most a bit, some are continual masks clearing practice.

Long answer for "yes". Some of us just have facial structures that are problematic.
thank you and makes sense. I notice my temples are recessed/flat some with not much room next to my eyes.

What mask did you find that worked well for you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom