Any NY (Long Island) Divers OUt There?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7ftDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so i have been looking and searching as to what the actualy regulations of diving on long island. I have found almost nothing. I know of spots that people go to dive but i was wondering how i would know if i can legally dive from a beach or not. Do regulations even exist? Or is there just a rule of thumb that is followed?

If it is legal to jump in the water wherever you want with a bathing suit, do you think the rules may be different if wearing a tank on your back? It wouldn't even occur to me.

SteveFass:
If it is legal to jump in the water wherever you want with a bathing suit, do you think the rules may be different if wearing a tank on your back? It wouldn't even occur to me.

I would think there might be some different rules. As an example, a lifeguard responsible for those on the beach obviously can't watch a diver, and will have significantly more problems rescuing a fully equipped diver if the need arises. The beach may just not allow that type of activity. Don't know though.

7ftDiver:
Ok, so i have been looking and searching as to what the actualy regulations of diving on long island. I have found almost nothing. I know of spots that people go to dive but i was wondering how i would know if i can legally dive from a beach or not. Do regulations even exist? Or is there just a rule of thumb that is followed?

It will vary town to town. but be sure to have your dive flag. Generally if it is a beach where people go swimming, diving is a no no. But then most of the sites are not "swiming beaches"

Why not stop down at "TheDiveClub", http://thediveclub.com

They meet first Tues of month in Bayshore @8 pm (this coming tues) at Molly Malone's

Also check out Wreck Valley forum in this board.

yeah, it will depend on the local (municipal or county) rules. down here
in florida, if it's a public beach, you can dive off there. not sure what the
rules are up in NY

also, good idea about checking any laws about carrying a dive flag. i would
carry it anyway, it never hurts.

a good source of information would be local dive clubs. they'll know the score.

here's another club after a quick search:

http://www.lidaonline.com/

LIDA is not a club. It is an association that aims to promote diving on Long Island and keep access to dive sites open to divers.
LIDA can help you, you can help LIDA.

Stop down to a meeting, sign up as a member (supporter). LIDA meets third Wed of the month at the Suffolk County Sports Hall of Fame in Patchogue.
Check the site for directions and further info.

Also look for the book Long Island Shore Diver by Capt Dan Berg. He writes on over 50 different beach dive sites from Queens to Montauk. I know some of the dive shops carry it.. don't know if it is available online.

Back
Top Bottom