Any new dive operators in Hilton Head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB104

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am heading to Hilton Head in late July 2006, and decided to look for a local dive operator. After browsing the posts on Scubaboard, I don't see any local dive operators within Hilton Head proper. I even saw one that said there were NO local shops. How can that be?

Much of the advice is to drive to Savannah GA, which I'd rather not do. Does anyone know of a closer dive operation? I also don't know what kind of diving is available in HH. I am a NJ diver, and am used to cold, dark, and rough. I would prefer something a little more relaxing, but would rather dive anyhow than not dive at all.

Any suggestions or ideas of what to expect?

Thanks

MB104:
I even saw one that said there were NO local shops. How can that be?
It's true, the last diveshop closed up there sometime before 2001 - the last time I checked.
Much of the advice is to drive to Savannah GA, which I'd rather not do. Does anyone know of a closer dive operation?
Savannah is the closest. I think it's about 40 miles. There's several dive ops to choose from there.
Any suggestions or ideas of what to expect?
Sand, sand, oh yeah then more sand. And it's really shallow for a long distance out. Why HH is such a great beach resort area. There is some bottle diving in one of the rivers near Hilton Head.

Although Charleston Scuba is a great outfit, it's an hour and a half away or more. Of course being from Jersey, if you dove the Cooper River there for shark's teeth, you'd feel right at home - it's zero vis blackwater diving. If you're interested, Charleston Scuba has links on their website.

Leave the drysuit home, the water that time of year is bathtub warm. My log shows 85' the end of June.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom