Any NetZero users here? Have questions for ya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
Within the next 8 weeks, I will be moving to a new apartment. And I'm contemplating a switch in my net connection.

The current apartment I'm in has a T-1 line that I'm connected with. But the rates are $48/month (similar to cable modem connection). The thing I've discovered is that I do most of my surfing at work, so I'm paying quite a bit for access that I'm not using.

So I'm considering service(s) similar to NetZero where for a flat $10.00/month you can get regular modem access with no ads or other annoyances.

My home net usuage is usually reading chat boards like ScubaBoard and light browsing of other sites and eBay. Say 4-8 hours per week, tops. So my needs are realtively simple and the main focus is to reduce my internet connection costs.

Has anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with NetZero or similar services? Would you recommend it? Would you recommend another service?

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.

--Mike

I used NetZero at home in Albany, NY (back when it was free) before I moved to Ohio and was able to convince my employer to foot the bill for Road Runner cable modem. I thought the service was fine - I used it about 8-10 hours a week myself. There is no comparision to a T-1 line - don't plan on downloading a bunch of freeware or photos from the net without considerable wait time - but for what you're describing, it should work fine. Good luck!

BTW - it's nice to see a question on here that I can actually weigh in on with some experience now and again! <S> Thanks!

As with martinjc, I concur that netzero is fine for general net browsing. Normally get 45k connection speed, and it's rarely out of service. When the free service got cut down to 10 hrs per month, I opted to pay. $10/month isn't bad. They let you hang onto a connection for several hrs at a time, but do drop you automatically after that time with no warning. I've had some trouble with getting it to work properly on my new XP machine, tho (am using my old machine for net access).

-Simon

will ever feel satisfied with a Vega again. The biggest complaints I have heard are from those who have tried to go back and are simply miserable with the speed. Er, lack of speed. You can try it, but don't say I didn't warn you!!!

I used to be on dial up a couple of years ago and then moved up to fast dsl. 3 months ago I had dial up for two weeks while waiting for my new dsl service provider to kick in as I was in between dsl providers and let me tell you just like netdoc has warned you it ain't the same. I went nuts for those two weeks cuz I couldn't handle the 56k dial up.:confused:

I agree whole heartily about the "addiction" to the convenience of speed. I've always been amused how happy we were when 9600 baud was the fastest thing since a greased rabbit through a goose. And when a 386 processor was the coolest thing on the block. Now, just a few short years later, we're impatient and frustrated at any connection slower than DSL and CPUs slower than 1.2 mHz. :tease:

I'm just trying to balance how much time I'm going to be online versus what I will be doing when connected (low end browsing) versus dollars spent.

DSL is available to me, but it's still fairly pricey for our area. ALso, if I need to do anything requiring a faster transfer, I can do it here at work.

sounds like you got your mind made up so try it and see how it goes, besides you can always upgrade later if you feel the need to.=-)

Hayes 300 baud modem... :tease:
You could even borrow my 8mHz IBM AT with 512K soldered on the MB. I think the HD is a 33M RLL and I even retro fitted it with one of them new fangled 3.5" Diskette drives to complement the 360 K 5 1/2" Floppy. And yes, it all still works. They were built like tanks back then. Slow, but oh so sure! Oh yeah, I gots WIndows 2 loaded on it too!!!

Originally posted by NetDoc
will ever feel satisfied with a Vega again. The biggest complaints I have heard are from those who have tried to go back and are simply miserable with the speed. Er, lack of speed. You can try it, but don't say I didn't warn you!!!

Absolutely true. I remember a time when I worked a full 8 hour day programming from my in-laws house over easter to fix a serious bug over a 300 baud modem without adequate terminal emulation. I now can't do anything more than telegraph style e-mails when I'm away on business and only have access to dial-up. I'm dreading the week of withdrawl from here when I go away on business in a couple of weeks...

Pete...

I'll see your AT and raise you a working Commodore PET with software.

I also can't beleive how much I paid for that old Apple ][ when I was a sophomore in high school.

Back
Top Bottom