Any NC divers out there that live in the Charlotte area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh divematt I go to fla at a wimp got to get in some of them warm water dives now that cozumel spoiled me lol

Not a diver yet but will be at the end of June. I'll be up for weekend trips. My girlfriend will have a more hectic schedule but she'll be certified too. The more practice I can get the better!

divematt:
...The quarries here are a bit cold yet for me...

Hey Matt,

What quarries are those? I have 7mm gear I used up north and wouldn't mind a bit of cold quarry water. What are the details? Depth, vis, structure, etc.

Thanks.

diver294@hotmail.com

There are 3 Quarries that PDRA manages. The Lake Norman Quarry, the American Quarry in Salisbury, (Granite Quarry), and the third is the Blanch Quarry which is up off I-85 past Greensboro in Blanch, NC. Right now in Lake Norman Quarry, vis is 30 to 40 feet, and I'll get back on water temp. I think it's 75 or so at the surface, in the 50's or 60's about 15 feet down, and upper 40's at the bottom around 90 feet. There are cars, busses, boats, a crane, and various other things to see, all conected by a rope from what I hear. I'm going there for only my second time now in about an hour. I'll be wearing my 7mm full suit and a hooded vest, 7mm booties and 3mm gloves which I may trade in for 5mm later today. Check them out at www.ncpdra.org

divematt:
There are 3 Quarries that PDRA manages. The Lake Norman Quarry, the American Quarry in Salisbury, (Granite Quarry), and the third is the Blanch Quarry which is up off I-85 past Greensboro in Blanch, NC. www.ncpdra.org

I went to the website but there is very little info on depth, etc. (all the sites look GREAT)

Do they have additional info on the site? Did I just miss it somehow?

Thanks again.

I dove the Lake Norman Quarry last night. There's way more down there than I thought, however the vis is only 15 to 20 feet. The algae bloom is growing. They said this past winter it was 50 to 60 feet. At the dive platform 25 to 30 feet down, it was 58 degrees. The surface was upper 70's or so. We went to the top of the cruiser which was 84' and it was in the 40's. My lips and cheeks were cold. I believe the Lake Norman Quarry is 94 feet deep. I'll check on the other two.

Anybody available to dive Bluestone or Lake Norman before the weather gets too cold?

I'm tied up this weekend, but can do weekdays or next weekend, if the temps permit.

-Grier

GrierHPharmD:
Anybody available to dive Bluestone or Lake Norman before the weather gets too cold?

I'm tied up this weekend, but can do weekdays or next weekend, if the temps permit.

-Grier

I'll be at Lake Norman Quarry tomorrow, no matter what the weather's like!

Anyone been in the Lake Norman Quarry lately? or know of a website that tracks the temperatures of the quarry?

Back
Top Bottom