Any Mares MR12 Proton reg users??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrottheaddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Gave it a test in the pool and it worked well...how's it do in the real world??

The MR12 is a good reliable diaphragm reg. Not the highest performer in the world but it will get the job done. The proton first stage is newer and I have heard good things about it. The only bad thing I guess is that unlike most regs today the first stage doesn't help your hose routing. I will stop picking at your reg though, it is a good reg for intermediate diving, and it will serve you well.

I dive this same 1st and 2nd stage. Works wonderful- even with a 7 foot primary hose, though as rescuediver009 pointed out, the ports on the first stage don't help much with hose routing. It's doing its job for the time being though (looking to get some apeks in the near future). I see you are new to diving, it will serve you well for quite some time.

Jason

I bought this same setup earlier this year. The setup worked well for about 50 dives, then I had an IP creep that I later learned was common to this 1st stage. It worked well below 100 feet, and always breathed easy, but I didn't want to have to work on it every 50 dives. I've since gone to a V16 1st stage, and kept the Proton 2nd, and so far I'm happy. YMMV.

I've been using Mares MR12 first stages for many years. I currently use a set of them on my doubles. The first stage HP seats that are currently being produced are composed of a clear polymer. The reports are that they are lasting much longer than the earlier versions.

Personally, I've had some older style HP seats in my regs that have lasted more than 150 dives.

The MR12 is such a simple, robust design that little else can go wrong with it.

Greg

Jason B:
I dive this same 1st and 2nd stage. Works wonderful- even with a 7 foot primary hose, though as rescuediver009 pointed out, the ports on the first stage don't help much with hose routing. It's doing its job for the time being though (looking to get some apeks in the near future). I see you are new to diving, it will serve you well for quite some time.

Jason
Does it take a standard hose fitting? Wanting to add a 7' hose to my brother's MR12.

BTW - nice little reg, works well - good little starter reg.

Tamas:
Does it take a standard hose fitting? Wanting to add a 7' hose to my brother's MR12.
yep, standard 3/8".
Jason

Firefyter:
I bought this same setup earlier this year. The setup worked well for about 50 dives, then I had an IP creep that I later learned was common to this 1st stage. It worked well below 100 feet, and always breathed easy, but I didn't want to have to work on it every 50 dives. I've since gone to a V16 1st stage, and kept the Proton 2nd, and so far I'm happy. YMMV.

The V16 is far superior in both performance and in avoiding the IP creep from cut flat seats. The spherical core of the V16 is the same they use in their V32, Ruby, TI Planet, etc... Great design!

When we used the MR12 for a first stage on our training regs... we were constantly having to rebuild them.... We rebuilt them and sold them off... Much happier with other 1st stages for dependability.

Firefyter:

Hi Firefyter,

Was wondering if you got your V16 1st stage separately? I've been keen on getting your current setup of a V16 Proton but had to settle for an MR12 Proton instead as there seemed to be none left on the market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom