Any Luck With HD VIDEO Cameras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RRedd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to purchase a new video camera. My first thought is to get a HD wide angle camera. Has any one had any luck with any kind? Plus i will need some lighting, so basicly i am looking to the hear from the voice of experience, so if you have any thing that may be useful it would be great.................

Lucky,

What do you mean 'luck?'

And why do you want HD? I mean, there are some applications for HD, but for most people, DV works fine and requires fewer computer resources.

Jeff

I am interested in getting some good footage so that maybe one day i could see my stuff on the discovery channel. And of course the quality is better.

Discovery channel?

Try googling the Sony F950.

If you are looking for somethin a little smaller, the Sony Z1U or FX is great, works a charm in my Amphibico housing. The Amphibico has a nice selection of both electronic and manual functions. The Gates and L&M are also great options.

Canon also has a new unit out but i have yet to hear much about it, supposed to be quite nice. I believe Gates might be doing a housing

Mike Veitch:
Discovery channel?

Try googling the Sony F950.

If you are looking for somethin a little smaller, the Sony Z1U or FX is great, works a charm in my Amphibico housing. The Amphibico has a nice selection of both electronic and manual functions. The Gates and L&M are also great options.

Canon also has a new unit out but i have yet to hear much about it, supposed to be quite nice. I believe Gates might be doing a housing

Discovery Channel ? Sure are setting your hopes/goals high.

Sony F950 ? :confused: Holy Moly, $115,000. Maybe if I win Lotto. :D

Z1 and FX are still big for most of us.

If you are into this for the 1st time or as a hobby, I suggest looking at the smaller HD camcorders like the HC1 and HC3. :coffee:

Do you have a budget in mind ?

Here's some HD footage shot from our trip last week to High Springs. The guy who shot it was testing his new Equinox housing and the Salvo 24W video lights we sold him. I believe the camera was a Sony FX1. The footage is the virgin run for the camera underwater, so don't be too critical. I'm very happy with the amount of light thrown by the Salvo video lights, remember this is a cave with no ambient light.

The pro-sumer HD camera's are great. I just sold my standard def package and plan only to shoot HD. For kicks, watch the developement on the soon to be released RED camera. There's a good write up in this month's STUDIO magazine.

You are rich..........in experience :D

Some day I'll make it to Yap or at least somewhere outside of the Caribbean.

I just got the HVR A1e with a gates housing and the difference in quality between that and my old TRV900 is incredible, even though most of the stuff I film a notch down to normal DV. The sharpness and colours are outstanding and the housing is real small.

The main problems I've had are with editing software. I've always used premiere, but have had to upgrade to premiere pro2.0. Ive managed to get capture the stuff but am now having troubles exporting in HDV. Going to post a call for help here in a minute,

Back
Top Bottom