Any interest in diving Mt. Storm 12/23 or 12/26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caverdave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any interest in diving at Mt. Storm on either 12/23 or 12/26?

No elaborate plans; feed the fish, check out the platforms etc I'm guessing it will simply be a single tank dive... too cold outside for the surface interval.... :)

Dave

What is the winter temp of the water there. And what is the depth?

PerroneFord:
What is the winter temp of the water there. And what is the depth?

Should be in the 50's, probably the low 50's.

There are two 20' platforms, one 50' platform and one 90' platform all of which are connected via ropes (which is a good thing as the visibility will probably be in the 5' range). I don't know what the deepest spot is, though I believe I've read on the web that the old stream bed would have a person down around 120' or so.

Outside air temp and wind will be the larger factor in not wanting to hang out for the surface interval... at least for me... :)

Thanks, I won't be able to dive it this season, but was thinking about doing it next year when I come up to visit my folks in Parkersburg. I wonder if I can find any deals on drysuits in the next 6 months.

caverdave - I'm out of the area right now (home for Christmas), but I'd love to dive Mt. Storm sometime this winter. When I'm at school I'm about 3 1/2 hours away so if I head that way I'd hope for two dives or so. Let me know if you're going anytime in January or February.

NSDiver:
caverdave - I'm out of the area right now (home for Christmas), but I'd love to dive Mt. Storm sometime this winter. When I'm at school I'm about 3 1/2 hours away so if I head that way I'd hope for two dives or so. Let me know if you're going anytime in January or February.

Will do !

Last year in the January/Feb. time frame we had a few lucky weekends where the air temp was in the low 50's and a dive at mt. storm worked well (not too much snow, water not frozen like everywhere else etc).

You back in the area around January 7th? I might even be able to convince a few Parkersburg folks to head up for a day trip...

Unable to make it on 23 or 26 but am planning on going down and doing at least one in the afternoon of the 1st, staying at the mountaineer overnight and diving on monday the second also. BTW Perrone, if you come up to storm around aug or sept you won't need any suit. Was down on sept 10th and it was 93 at sufrace and 88 100 ft down. It was still 73 on 11/5 this year.

I'll have to check when I get back to school, but I might have duty on the 7th (go to the Naval Academy). If I do then I won't have it again on another weekend for six weeks or so. Hopefully I can get out - would be great to get a few dives in before school starts up again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom