Any ideas on how to prevent flex connect from accidentally disconnecting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wfgross

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
About 2 months after buying the SeaLife DC2000 with two 4500 Lumen Video lights I nearly lost one of the video lights while passing the camera kit up to the dive boat. Apparently the deck hand grabbed the handle right at the connection and released the light. I somehow caught the light before it bounce onto the platform and headed for the deep blue. I now always tell the deckhand not to grab any red when passing up.

On a dive this morning. i was turning the kit during decent and must have accidentally grabbed the release mechanism and a light released and headed for the deep. Again, I was lucky and had turned on the light and was able to follow it to the bottom and retrieved it.

So Murphy says I am overdue to lose a light.

Any ideas on how to disable the quick release on the flex connect? Or should I move my kit to another arm system?

Thanks

After losing a video light on an entry, everything that can potentially drop gets a simple tether.
There should be an eye of some sort on the light for a tether of light line. Simply tie the light to the arm past the disconnect or add a little boltsnap inline for easy removal.
Do you have some sort of tether from the whole rig back to you?

@wfgross

couple ways to do it. You can drill a hole in the first and last unit and run a piece of cave line through it and tie one end to the light, the other to the bracket. That keeps the line out of the way on the locline. Other option is what @Coztick said and just tie the light directly to the tray. Bit higher snag risk, though you could make it long enough to wrap around the locline to minimize the snag hazard.

@wfgross

couple ways to do it. You can drill a hole in the first and last unit and run a piece of cave line through it and tie one end to the light, the other to the bracket. That keeps the line out of the way on the locline. Other option is what @Coztick said and just tie the light directly to the tray. Bit higher snag risk, though you could make it long enough to wrap around the locline to minimize the snag hazard.

I'm not familiar with the mount but if we're breaking out the drill, I wonder if a small cotter pin through the mount would lock the mount from releasing.
Which particular mount is this?

I'm not familiar with the mount but if we're breaking out the drill, I wonder if a small cotter pin through the mount would lock the mount from releasing.
Which particular mount is this?

that's what I get for assuming, I thought it was a locline arm, not a more rigid arm. In that case your suggestion is best and just wrap the line around the handle so it doesn't get snagged.

No good pictures of the tray that the camera is mounted on, but I imagine there must be some sort of eyelet somewhere to tie a bolt snap onto.

@wfgross I just read it wrong and forgot about the new system. My old sealife has locline type arms on it. Either way, what I would do is tie a small bungee loop around the fork on the light with 1/8" bungee if it will fit, if not use cave line. Then tie a piece of 1/8" bungee to the tray and put a small bolt snap on the end. Wrap the line around the flexline a few times to keep it from snagging then clip it to the light. The bolt snap lets you remove it when you need to and the 1/8" bungee lets it flex as needed

Good suggestion- I will give it a try.

@wfgross I just read it wrong and forgot about the new system. My old sealife has locline type arms on it. Either way, what I would do is tie a small bungee loop around the fork on the light with 1/8" bungee if it will fit, if not use cave line. Then tie a piece of 1/8" bungee to the tray and put a small bolt snap on the end. Wrap the line around the flexline a few times to keep it from snagging then clip it to the light. The bolt snap lets you remove it when you need to and the 1/8" bungee lets it flex as needed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom