Any Hong Kong divers in here???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious - what are the dive sites in Hong Kong and how is the vis and variety of life down there?

Sweetlip, sorry for not responding earlier. Didn't see your post until today. Well I've only been on 4 dives in Hong Kong by tagging along with some of the expat dive clubs. In general, the worthwhile dive sites are shallow 5-10m, visibility can be poor but I've been lucky so far (3-5m vis?). Coral is pretty damaged and sparse but there is a concerted effort lately to protect them and to regenerate them in designated areas or through artificial reefs. Fish are limited and small due to excessive fishing. I understand that dynamite fishing still goes on in some of the remote islands. However, if you go with a right attitude, it can actually be enjoyable. So far I've seen a good size reef ray nearly run into me in poor vis!, a scorpion fish that just caught a fish in its mouth, cornet fish, lots of anemone fish (they're pretty defensive here!), a small yellow box fish, and others claimed to have seen a sting ray and octopus. Lots of sea urchins as well. For me, its a nice way to escape from the hi-rises and city hustle, socialize with other local divers, and to keep my diving skills fresh in between overseas trips.

Back
Top Bottom