Any gouge on Mares BCs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveninja

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has any gouge as to the quality of Mares BCs, especially the Morphos Pro. I'm having trouble finding any sort of real comparisons or accounts of personal experience.

Diveninja,

First welcome to scubaboard. This is a great place to get any kind of diving info. Have a look around and enjoy.

To answer your question, I have been diving with the Morphos for 2 years now and it works great, especially useful if you are into photography. With the airtrim system, never have to take your eyes away from the camera as the airtrim is in a fixed position.

I used to use a Seaquest ProQD and I tried the BP/W route. However I found that for the diving that I do, the Morphos is perfect. Packs small for travel, fits great, easy to trim, rear inflation so there is no squeeze and truly has an armchair feel on the surface.

Issues that people do not like are the manual inflation tube is small, the airtrim uses a little more air than a standard BCD (pneumatic valve uses air to dump) and there is no way to use doubles.

I always suggest that if you are new to diving, try a couple of different BC, regs, etc, until you get an idea of what you like and don't like. If you plan on doing doubles for Cave or Wreck, I would suggest going to a BP/W and get used to it now.

Good luck in your search and with whatever you choose.

Dive Smart;Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:14:

Diveninja,

Try this review here.

I used a Morphous Twin on a trip last year for an equipment review on zerovisibility.co.uk.

See here:
http://www.zerovisibility.co.uk/MaresMorphousTwin.htm

Generally impressed but it does take some getting used to.

Just to note, MaresMan1 and Mark use the Morphos Twin, the precursor model to the Morphos Pro. The Pro differs in a number of ways. For instance, it has a single wall buoyancy bag, wheres the Twin has an double bag design, the the bag shape is different, and a few other updates. I have a Pro myself. Very durable and I have had no problems with it. Previous to this, I had a Dragonfly for a few seasons, also with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom