Any good spots in Boston Harbor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheAlphaMag

Reaction score
I have a boat and am familiar with the boston harbor islands... At least topside anyways.

I remember one time when I was kayaking around Calf Island, I said hi to some divers who were doing tired/injured diver tows near the shore.

I dropped in for a couple of tanks last month to check out lobster habitat for our Rec traps. I suggest the area around Green Island and the islands around the flying place. These are located just beyond the brewsters and are a 20-30 minute ride from the inner harbor. Nice medium rocky structure with kelp and lots of places for the bugs to hide. I saw a nice large sea raven in addition to a slew of very large starfish the times when my head was not burried under some rock. Vis was 30 ft and the water was cleaner than I expected I do most of my local diving in Rockport and off Cape Ann Charters(Fran's Boat) for reference. I got 3 or 4 keepers on one tank and had a few big ones hide deep on me. I also dropped in around Rams head (just outside the deer island light) and was treated to a muddy bottom with low vis. Small bugs digging holes in the flat bottom. It pays to Drive another 5-10 minutes.

Coach

It is many good sites ou there.

-Calf Island
-Green Island
-The Graves Light
-The Brewsters

-The wreck of the City of Salisbury
-The Kiowa
-The Romance
-The Barges...

And many other sites, Pretty much all of my dive is out there, i go out with the Boston Harbor Diving Co., Captains James Sullivan and Pat Breen.

Check the BHDC web site they have very good descriptions of the sites.

Good luck and enjoy the Harbor, if you can visit Calf Island, you will be able to see a Barge which is resting on land and going down about 35fsw, is pretty nice, lots of bugs and very easy to find since you can see it from the boat.

My girlfriend and I did two dives with Boston Harbor Diving Company last week (Graves Lighthouse and Martin's Ledge). Both are *excellent* dives! Plenty of marine life and great rock formations. The viz can be poor at times, but compares to Cape Ann (10' seems usual). Lately, though, the water has been quite warm. I agree with Rafael, just take a look at the BHDC website for a list of all the sites.

Sweet! Thanks. I think I'm going to do some Kayaking around the area today.

Is BHDC a good choice for someone who just got their OW cert and wants to make some more dives? Where do they run out of?

Thanks again
-sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom