Any good resources on designing threaded parts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wan to make some 3d printed versions of these AK Cable clamp set . However i'm not so sure about how to go about designing the threads.
Largely depends on what CAD software you use. At the simplest end of things, tinkercad has a thread generator... But tinkercad has many other limitations I don't like. I work mostly in FreeCAD, and with that I do threads by sketching the profile of the thread and loft a long a helix.
Key thing is that different CAD software have different work flows for things. If you're using FreeCAD shoot me a message and I can talk you through an example.

Respectfully,

James

McMaster Carr has CAD models of nearly everything they sell (and they sell nearly everything.) Find a thing with the threading you need, merge it into your part (or subtract it from your part, as appropriate), and you're done.

(*Not really, but close. Also, insert a step where you scale it by a few percent in the X and Y dimensions (but not in the Z dimension) to account for FDM tolerances. Experimentally determine the value of "few".)

Here's an example:
chrome_P71gIV1eXT.png

I needed a 3/8-16 threaded piece on the end of the hex shaft. So, I pulled a 3/8-16 2 inch threaded rod from MMC, scaled it down 3% in the X and Y dimensions, and boolean merged it with the solid shaft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom