Any good hoods?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoku

Registered
Reaction score
I really hate wearing hoods! I was wondering if I might have just tried a few bad ones or if I am just a big baby ;-0 :wink:
All of the ones I have tried have been borrowed or rentals...my suits have been 7mm so I assume the hoods were about the same but honestly am not sure. My issue is that they feel like they are suffocating me...and no they aren't too small a size..I guess they are just stiff and really neck constricting. Personally I don't even like turtlenecks so I do know I have some issues regardless :jester: ...but really..is there variation with brand etc.. THANKS*THANKS*THANKS

Hmmm.. I think it's something you just have to get used to.

One of my dive buddy's hates hoods and he won't wear them, he says he feels clostrophobic when he puts one on.

There isnt much variation either, with all the different brands and all. So I think you just have to get used to the feel.

Maybee leave a hood on for a day or so, so you get used to it, if people look at you weird while on the streets don't worry, just ignore them. :eek:utahere:

.... JOKING :D

......... JUST JOKING OK!! .....DON'T DO WHAT I SAID!! :eek:

PLEEEAAASSSEEE It will cause you major embaressment!

You could try a drysuit hood. These don't flare around your neck so they aren't as warm for wetsuit divers but better than nothing.

You could also try some thinner material, again not as warm but better than nothing. Mine has a thick panel on the sides and thinner material around the edge of my face and neck. Its actually quite comfortable.

Hoku once snorkeld...
I really hate wearing hoods!

I really hate wearing hoods, too! At least until I hit the thermocline and the water temperature drops to 40F. The most comfortable of the all-too-many hoods I've purchased is the Henderson Gold Core. It's easier to slip on and off and still keeps my noggin warm and just doesn't seem so restrictive.

You might also try burning a couple of holes over the ears with a soldering iron - seems weird, but it allows pressure adjustments to happen more freely and comfortably and takes some of the confining feeling away. I also burn a hole in the top of the hood to make certain that it doesn't turn into a mini lift bag due to air trapped under it.

Steven

Funny, I love wearing my hood. Without it, my mask strap pinches my ears into all sorts of funny and uncomfortable positions.

Plus there is the whole keeping me warm thing...that's kind of important, too.

I was also happy when I came across thousands of jellyfish a couple nights ago. Apparently they weren't very dangerous, but I didn't know that at the time...I was very happy the majority of my body was covered with neoprene and trilaminate.

Try the Henderson HyperStretch hood. It has a lot more stretch that a normal hood. The Henderson Gold Core hood is an exellent hood, just doesn't strech as much.

LOL I'm trying to imagine the look on peoples faces at work during my getting used to wearing a hood day :stooges:

I know going with out a hood is not an option because I tried and went numb:eek:ut:

Thanks for the suggestions..I'm off to search for those alternatives:wink:

I used to think the same thing....but I wore one on my fist dives ever, and loved it. It was very warm and confortable. I have an Akona. I thought I'd feel clausterphobic in one, but didn't at all. In fact, when I took it off, my hair was almost totally dry!

I did, howvever, punch a small hole in the very top to vent out air that might get trapped inside the top of the hood, and have had NO problems with it, and love it. Sure, it'd be nice to dive in 80 deg waters w/o one, but here in New York, thats not an option unless your in a heated YMCA pool indoors! Hahahaha.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom