Any good dive shops in Memphis area to visit while on a quick trip there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
Will be in Memphis later this week for a day and half with some time to kill.
Will be staying out on the "east side" of memphis I think kinda between Memphis and German town. Will also be downtown near Beale street area also perhaps while there.

Any good dive shops to visit during my "down time"?

If you know one, please post a link to their site also so I can print a map, etc.

Thanks.

-MIke

mike_s:
Will be in Memphis later this week for a day and half with some time to kill.
Will be staying out on the "east side" of memphis I think kinda between Memphis and German town. Will also be downtown near Beale street area also perhaps while there.

Any good dive shops to visit during my "down time"?

If you know one, please post a link to their site also so I can print a map, etc.

Thanks.

-MIke

yes.. sorry to not have seen your posting and got back to you sooner, but The Dive Shop is pretty easy to find since it's off of Poplar Avenue, one of the main drags that runs from downtown to Germantown. They have an indoor pool that they teach the classes in and for $50 (an annual membership fee), they'll let you jump in and use their tanks.. maybe even their gear. It's not a huge shop, but it's a nice one. Great folk. www.diveshop1.com and tell them Karen sent you.

Well that trip is long over, but I'll keep H20 Scuba Center noted for the next time I'm there.

I ended up going by "The Dive Shop" above that Maggs had suggested. They sold everything pretty much as "list price" and didn't seem to have any deals. I didn't get to finish looking around though as the manager of the store came out and his "attitude" basically made us loose interest in the place pretty quick...

Hey Mike,
Wish I could have seen your message earlier. I am from Memphis, and have had my fair share of dive shop experiences. I highly advise agaist going to The Dive Shop, much for the same reasons you listed. They prices like they own Memphis, and they just dont have the good personalities I look for in a dive shop. I was very fortunate to find a great dive instructor in the area not affiliated with any shop, and make sure to avoid the Dive Shop as much as possible. Sorry again you had a bad experiance there; only wish I could have warned you in advance and saved you a trip.

-Matt

Well, they (The Dive Shop) just blew their own opportunity. But from the other people I've talked to, they seem do do that overall as I haven't heard many good reviews of them.

The ladies that worked there were actually pretty nice and helpfull and were in the middle of telling us some usefull information. Then the manager came out and started to talk over them.... They just glanced at each other while he talked with "that look". I thought it was pretty funny...

Anyway... the manager was just "full of himself" and we got a laugh out of that also after we left. This should about sum it up... my wife, who doesn't dive, after we left said something like this.. "that guy was a jerk, I'm glad you didn't buy anything from him".

Yeah, Ive had that experiance. Funny how everywhere I seem to live the dive shops suck. Ive been in Knoxville over 2 years now, and still cant find a dive shop here I really like. Still never found one in Memphis. In fact, after spending the last summer in Huntsville, the place I consider to be 'my LDS' has to be Dive Sports. They are my favorite place I have ever been able to visit. I only wish they could open a branch in Memphis and Knoxville!

Back
Top Bottom